Re: Coal Data

From: James Mahaffy (mahaffy@mtcnet.net)
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 06:31:03 EST

    Bill you said:

    "Furthermore, had the coal bed come from an organic bed accumulating in
    swamp, then the thin bedding evident in banded coals would have been
    destroyed by the bioturbation of rooting by the trees in the swamp.
    "Trees in the mixed peat-swamp forest and pole forest have spreading,
    buttressed, and prop roots, which are generally confined to a root mat
    50-80 cm thick at the top of the peat and do not penetrate to the deeper
    peat or mineral sediments below the thick peat. If the peat beds of
    Indonesia were to become coal, they would not look like the banded coals
    of the eastern US. The 50 to 80 cm thick root mat would have destroyed
    all thin-bedded structure that we observe in banded coal seams."

    Do remember though that most of the Carboniferous coals were dominated
    by lycopods and most of the trunk was "bark". Those are plants quite
    different than the angiosperm trees coalified in Inonesia swamps. This
    difference could mean that Carboniferous coals are easier to flatten.
    But I am not sure that Carboniferous coal dominated by gymnosperms
    (Cordaites) is any less banded. You are right that it is not easy to
    account for the uniform widespread thickness and sharp contact of some
    of the widespread partings (I have studied one of the more famous of
    these, the "blue band" in the Herrin Coal of the Illinois Basin). And
    then I wonder if the Western Cretaceous coals generally have less of a
    sharp contact? That is true of a small coal in the Dakota fm here south
    of Sioux City but I haven't looked at many of them. In your model they
    too should be floating vegetation mats. Bill remember all models have
    some problems. While coal researchers are not going to quickly change
    to a paradigm of floating vegetation, if they tried, I think they would
    find more problems with this model. For one it is much harder to
    explain intraseam variation in plant material or spores [my area] and
    from one coal bed to another (biostratigraphy really works on those
    coals in the Illinois Basin). And of course Bill, if you want to
    persuade the scientific world you need to find a respected coal
    petrologists to think your model works. If I remember right Steve
    Austin did some petrology on the coal he studied for his Ph.D., but he
    didn't continue this and is NOT respected in the area for his petrology
    (he just hasn't published much in the area since then). Petrologists
    spend their lives looking at slides of thin sections of coal.

    But I have a Zoology test to finish before 8AM so I probably should not
    have taken this break.

    Keep up the reading on coal literature Bill.

    --
    James and Florence Mahaffy    712 722-0381 (Home)
    227 S. Main St.              712 722-6279 (Office)