Re: death and sin

From: RDehaan237@aol.com
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 06:25:34 EST

    In a message dated 2/21/01 2:04:50 PM, gmurphy@raex.com writes:

    << "Perfect fellowship with God the Creator" would mean that no further
    development in the relationship would be possible. That was not the case for
    the
    first humans because:
            1) The culmination of human fellowship with God comes about through
    the
    Incarnation, which had not yet taken place.
            2) Such an assumption does assume an essentially static view and thus
    thus is contrary to the belief that time and history are part of God's
    intention
    in creation. >>

    By a perfect relationship I meant an ideal one. A perfect relationship is
    not necessarily a static one. It can be a developing one, as you seem to
    acknowledge. A parent may have a perfect relationship with his/her infant
    child, later as a teenager, and still later as a young adult. At each stage
    the relationship changes, and at each stage it can be said to be perfect.
    The operative word here is not "perfect", but rather "developing".

    I agree that A&E were not infantile. I'm not sure how I would characterize
    their immaturity. Their behavior as described seemed more adolescent in its
    rebelliousness. But I do not think that we need to place them in some stage
    of human development as we know it today.

    <<No, that is not my reason for arguing against the idea of a creation
    already perfect in its beginnings. The value of history as part of creation &
    the incarnational goal of creation are my primary theological motives for
    such an
    argument. It is, of course, strongly supported by what we know of cosmic and
    biological evolution. I would suggest, on the contrary, that there is very
    little biblical basis for the view I'm challenging: You have not given any
    here. Such views are heavily influenced by the Greek idea of a priority of
    being
    over becoming & a desire for a golden age.>>

    I will back off the concept of perfection, if it places me in the camp of
    those who hold a static view of creation. I hold a dynamic view of history
    also.

    << No, he didn't say that. But as I already noted, if fellowship is
    perfect, in what important sense can there be any change for the better?>>

    I've back off the concept of perfection. But your argument that perfection
    is inherently a static concept is irrelevant in a developmental context,
    where perfection in an immature stage changes as the stages change, as I
    suggested above.

    <<You have missed the point of my criticisms of ID. They are not willing
    to accept the idea that God works in the world through cooperation with
    natural
    processes. I am, & in fact work with a very traditional understanding of
    divine
    action. The processes with which God cooperates are studied all the time by
    scientists. God isn't.>>

    Your last sentence does not say anything about the nature of God's
    cooperation. Logically, what is the difference between "God designs" and
    "God cooperates"? I think the first one means, in broad terms, that God
    determines the goals of cosmic and biological processes. What does it mean
    that God cooperates?

    In my prior note I asked, <<Evolution, if defined, as most biologists do, as
    natural selection, is of all things, not teleological. You have chosen the
    evolutionary route, and yet claim that evolution is *directed*, as I
    understand you. Directed toward what?>>

    You responded: <<It is directed toward the uniting of all things with
    Christ - Eph.1:10. Evolution as a scientific theory is not teleological.
    Placed in a larger
    theological context, it can be (depending, of course, on the theology)>>

    Your last sentence may be true. However, as soon as one tries to make
    evolution teleological he/she will be rejected by the science establishment.
    Denton tried it in his last book, without even being theistic about it, but
    do you find him being referenced by established biologists?

    Thanks for your thoughts,

    Bob