Coal Data

From: Bill Payne (bpayne15@juno.com)
Date: Thu Feb 22 2001 - 12:48:23 EST

    The the swamp model for the origin of coal fails to explain the features
    of banded coals of the eastern US. The alternate model, which more
    readily fits the data, is that coal seams are the result of floating mats
    of organic debris which settled out of water. The swamp model prevails
    only because it fits with the uniformitarian model of earth history.

    Last year I read Geological Society of America Special Paper 286:
    "Modern and Ancient Coal-Forming Environments." About 20 authors
    contributed 12 articles, most of which presented the vast peat swamps of
    Indonesia as being modern analogues for Pennsylvanian coal swamps. Not
    one of the authors mentioned or probably even recognized a glaring
    inconsistency in that comparison.

    Coal seams of the eastern US generally exhibit very sharp contacts
    between the coal and the underlying clay, shale or sandstone, and also
    make sharp contacts with thin interbeds of impurities, called partings.
    By contrast, the peat swamps of Indonesia have gradational contacts with
    the mineral substrate. The contact between the organic layer and the
    mineral substrate is *by definition* the depth where the ash content of
    the organic material (when it is burned) exceeds 25%. In other words,
    the contact between organics and substrate is completely gradational.
    The contact between coal and its substrate is generally very sharp. The
    two should not be considered analogous.

    Furthermore, had the coal bed come from an organic bed accumulating in a
    swamp, then the thin bedding evident in banded coals would have been
    destroyed by the bioturbation of rooting by the trees in the swamp.
    "Trees in the mixed peat-swamp forest and pole forest have spreading,
    buttressed, and prop roots, which are generally confined to a root mat
    50-80 cm thick at the top of the peat and do not penetrate to the deeper
    peat or mineral sediments below the thick peat. If the peat beds of
    Indonesia were to become coal, they would not look like the banded coals
    of the eastern US. The 50 to 80 cm thick root mat would have destroyed
    all thin-bedded structure that we observe in banded coal seams.

    From SP 286, cross-sections on pages 30-31and 36-39 show "mineral
    substrate >25% ash". Graphs on pages 34-35 plot % ash against depth, and
    show ash gradually increasing with depth from about 1% to 25%+ over depth
    intervals of about 1 to about 4 feet.

    Increment columns of the Middle Pennsylvanian Stockton and Fire Clay
    coals of West Virginia and Kentucky graph % ash from the underclay up
    through the coal seams and into the roof rock in about 6-inch intervals,
    except for a ~1-inch parting in the middle of the Stockton which is
    analyzed by itself.

    In both the Stockton and Fire Clay coals, there is no apparent gradation
    in ash content going from coal to the parting in the middle of each seam,
    nor is there any apparent gradation going from the base of the coal seams
    to the underclays.

    This lack of gradation going from coal to underclays or from coal to
    partings is consistent with field observations, which will normally show
    a razor-sharp contact of coal/underclay and coal/partings.

    Coals also typically show banded structure, which is primary, not
    developed during diagenesis. On page 8 of SP 286: "An immature soil,
    developed atop the thin veneer of quartzose silt of the levee, is
    darkened by organic material; primary sedimentary structures have been
    destroyed by roots and soil-forming processes. The rooted soil profile
    grades downward into undisturbed planar and ripple-bedded quartzose silt
    in the cutbank." Roots destroy primary sedimentary structures. Coals
    have primary sedimentary structures, therefore they were not rooted, but
    sedimentary.

    I understand that coal seams do commonly show a widespread progression of
    plant types up through the section, and this is said to be evidence for
    in situ growth. I maintain that the evidence for the organics having
    settled from floating mats outweighs the evidence for in situ growth, and
    therefore the progression observed in plant types has been
    misinterpreted.

    By analogy, I maintain that the observed "progression" of organisms in
    the geologic record may have also been misinterpreted as being the result
    of evolution. To present evolution as fact is to overstep the boundaries
    of our knowledge, IMHO.

    I would appreciate any comments from those who might take issue with my
    understanding of the origin of coal.

    Bill