Re: More than TE in ASA

From: SteamDoc@aol.com
Date: Wed Feb 21 2001 - 10:23:25 EST

    But the problem wasn't Wiester's voice being heard (much as I might disagree with his underlying "God of the Gaps" theology), it was Wiester presenting these opinions in a way that made them seem like they were the views of the ASA (whether this was Wiester's fault or the fault of the reporter I don't know). It would be equally wrong if the specific views of somebody like Keith Miller with whom I was more in agreement were presented as those of the ASA.

    And Keith's other point was that Wiester misrepresented the process and product of the newly adopted science standards in Kansas. Since Keith was in the middle of it, I assume he knows what he's talking about there.

    It's strange to me that some perceive the ASA to have a Theistic Evolution slant. When I see the work of the Science Education commission and read the ASA Newsletter, I get the impression of an anti-evolution slant. I suppose such angles of inclination tend to be measured relative to the observer ...

    Allan Harvey, steamdoc@aol.com