Re: Evolution in Turkey

From: Cmekve@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 20 2001 - 00:05:16 EST

    In a message dated 2/19/01 10:40:57 AM Mountain Standard Time, kbmill@ksu.edu
    writes:

    << Interestingly, I just received another post about the situation in Turkey
     from a completely different source.

     Political action seem to be the name of the game. Both YECs and ID are
     focussing on pshing their agendas in the political realm. They are
     essentially making an end run around the scientific community and proper
     channels of peer review and scientific evaluation.

     Keith

    Hi Keith-
    Your first sentence in the second paragraph (Political action...etc) probably
    sums it up, though perhaps not in the way you intended. Turkey is a
    constitutionally secular society but there is a vocal "fundamentalist" Moslem
    movement to institute an Islamic state. I strongly suspect that those people
    pushing anti-evolution views are less concerned about science or the "ethics"
    of evolution and very concerned about achieving a political goal.
    Anti-evolution talk is merely (mostly?) a means to rouse the population to a
    political end.

    Any analogies to the situation in the U.S.? ;-)

    Karl
    Karl V. Evans
    cmekve@aol.com