RE: New Kansas Science Stds.

From: Vandergraaf, Chuck (vandergraaft@aecl.ca)
Date: Mon Feb 19 2001 - 20:20:56 EST

    Yes, I figured as much, but there are so many misconceptions about plutonium
    that I could not resist a response.

    Some years ago, we needed a small amount of Pu-237 for an experiment. This
    isotope has a half life of about 40 days or so and is not even fissile! We
    had to jump through so many hoops that doing the actual experiment was a bit
    of an anti-climax. So, going back to your example, the turn-off would not
    so much be the money but the paperwork to get the plutonium.

    BTW, all plutonium isotopes are radioactive. That's why we have to keep on
    making it to keep the supply up. ;-) It's not like some of those more
    persistent toxic elements like mercury, arsenic, and cadmium that hang
    around forever.

    Chuck