Re: death and sin

From: Kenneth Piers (Pier@calvin.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 19 2001 - 07:45:16 EST

    It seems altogether clear that death of both plants and animals occurred
    long before any humans were on the scene. In deed, it would be hard to
    imagine any kind of life existing without (the seeming co-requisite) of
    death. So how should we understand the "death" passages in Genesis? It
    likely does not refer to bodily death. Instead, perhaps we should
    understand this "death" as the separation of humanity from perfect
    fellowship with God the Creator - a fellowship which humans themselves
    were absolutely powerless to restore. So it is a spiritual death - left
    to ourselves we are "dead in our sins". Having lost our ability to
    understand ourselves, our neighbor, and our place in creation, humanity
    has ever since tried to find its point of reference somewhere within the
    creation itself - always with unsatisfactory consequences. These
    consequences express themselves in every avenue of life - in our
    inability to love God above all, to love ourselves as we ought, to love
    our neighbor rightly, and to care for the physical and biotic creation
    properly.
    By the gift of God's own Son we are restored (in principle) to perfect
    fellowship with our Creator through the gift of faith by the testimony
    of the Holy Spirit in our hearts. In this way we are restored to life -
    and ultimately will gain eternal life.
    kp