Re: Of Filters and Faith (was "A YEC apologetic")

From: Vernon Jenkins (vernon.jenkins@virgin.net)
Date: Thu Feb 15 2001 - 19:36:58 EST

    Paul,

    I believe you are making far more of what the ancients probably
    understood by 'the firmament' than is warranted. You say:

    "YEC's, to my knowledge, always reject the solidity of the firmament on
    the basis of modern science. Like the "local" Flood interpretation, no
    one did that until modern times. Interpreting the firmament as
    atmosphere (or space) is just as much a rationalizing "interpretation"
    as are the rationalizing interpretations of the OEC's. Similarly, the
    sea above the firmament (above the sun, moon and stars) is almost never
    accepted by YEC's in a straightforward way. It too is rationalized away
    on the basis of modern science."

    In my experience, no translation of the Hebrew of Gn.1:6,7 confronts one
    with the notion of a solid firmament. It follows that, unless one is a
    Hebrew scholar and aware of Ez.1:22, the problems you pose simply don't
    arise. But, in any case, surely the information conveyed by the Creator
    to Moses would have been the truth - as it is known by us today. Of
    course, the 'separation of waters' in Moses' experience would,
    necessarily, have involved the use of solid containers, so his choice of
    'raqia' is simply explained - and, in the circumstances, may be
    forgiven. However, let us observe that the misunderstanding takes
    nothing away from the unfolding narrative, for the nature of the barrier
    of separation was surely of little consequence. What really mattered was
    the truth that 'up there' was a gigantic reservoir of water - supported
    in some way - which would later descend as torrential rain to flood the
    earth.

    In your concluding paragraph you say: "Purity of heart is of the essence
    in Christianity." Another essential Christian attribute, of course, is
    'love of truth'. That is why I am surprised that you appear to be
    completely dismissive of the message in the numerics of Gn.1:1/Creator's
    Name. Have you not considered that while men may tamper with Hebrew and
    Greek semantics, they can do nothing about the arithmetic and geometry
    conveyed by the same words? It is that which makes these self-evident
    truths so significant, and worthy of closer investigation by the stout
    (and pure) hearted.

    You may like to comment on some of the other matters raised in my
    earlier posting.

    Sincerely,

    Vernon

    www.otherbiblecode.com