Re: Of Filters and Faith (was "A YEC apologetic")

From: PHSEELY@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 23:33:40 EST

    Vernon wrote:

    << In respect of myself, as a YEC, I believe I am justified in reading the
     whole of the biblical data in a straightforward manner - at the same
     time, rejecting the scientific 'evidence' based on 'interpretation' and
     'opinion'. For others, the reverse will obtain>>

     By and large, it is true that YEC's accept a straightforward interpretation
    of Gen 1-11 and that OEC's are more prone to reinterpret these chapters based
    on scientific findings. However, this is not entirely the case. YEC's, to my
    knowledge, always reject the solidity of the firmament on the basis of modern
    science. Like the "local" Flood interpretation, no one did that until modern
    times. Interpreting the firmament as atmosphere (or space) is just as much a
    rationalizing "interpretation" as are the rationalizing interpretations of
    the OEC's. Similarly, the sea above the firmament (above the sun, moon and
    stars) is almost never accepted by YEC's in a straightforward way. It too is
    rationalized away on the basis of modern science. And, like the solidity of
    the firmament this too was the historic interpretation of the Church.

    But, are these descriptions of the sky with the sea above it a revelation
    from God or an accommodation to the science of the times? [Don't forget that
    inspiration does not rule out accommodation (Matt 19:8)] The description of
    the universe in Gen 1 exactly matches the description given in the science of
    the times. If, nonetheless, you do not accept the idea that Gen 1 is an
    accommodation to the science of the times, do you literally accept God's
    making a solid sky as told in Gen 1:7? Ezek 1:22 shows that a firmament is
    solid. (Most commentaries on Ezek 1:22 say or clearly infer this including
    Keil and Delitzsch. Of 32 commentaries on Ezek 1, I did not see even one that
    doubted the solidity of the firmament in that passage; so, seeing a solid
    firmament in Ezek 1:22 is the straight forward interpretation of that verse.)

    Rev 4:6 associates the solid firmament in Ezekiel with the firmament in Gen
    1. The firmament in Ezek which looked like "ice" was understood in ancient
    times (cf. the LXX) to be a reference to its being made of "crystal." It is
    associated with "four living creatures" (Ezek 1:5 ff.) which are merged with
    wheels that are "full of eyes" (Ezek 1:18). The firmament in Gen 1 has a
    "sea" (tehom) above it, the one in Ezek a "throne". Revelation 4:6 pulls
    these two firmaments together saying, "and before the throne, as it were a
    _sea_ of glass like _crystal_; and in the midst of the throne, and round
    about the throne, four living creatures full of eyes before and behind." Rev
    4:6 thus proves that the raqia' in Genesis 1 is to be identified with the
    solid raqia' in Ezek 1; and more than one commentator has noticed this
    connection.

    So, IF you will say that you accept the statements in Gen 1 that the sky is
    solid and has a sea above it, I can accept that you are "reading the _whole_
    of the biblical data in a straightforward manner." But, if not; (and I have
    yet to hear you say clearly that you do believe the Bible is correct and that
    you believe the sky is solid with a sea above it ), then you are
    rationalizing away the Bible just as much as any OEC; and you are doing it on
    the basis of "interpretations of modern science." Purity of heart is of the
    essence in Christianity. I see duplicity in your approach. I am not seeking
    to judge you; but, you must face up to the fact that you are doing the very
    same thing you are looking askance at others for doing.

    Paul