Re: Of Filters and Faith (was "A YEC apologetic")

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 11:42:27 EST

    Vernon wrote, in part:

    "Some time ago (but on another list, I believe) I sought to focus
    attention on some words of the Lord which appear to be apposite to the
    matter in hand. He said, "No man can serve two masters: for either he
    will hate the one, and love the other; or he will hold to the one, and
    despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon (or, worldly gain)."
    (Mt.6:24) Excellent advice, I suggest. Matthew Henry comments: "While
    two masters go together, a servant may follow them both; but when they
    part, you will see to which he belongs."

    The "master" I follow, and I suspect that most of those here follow, is
    to seek for truth. Again, most of us here appear to find that truth in
    the person of Jesus.

    What it looks like to me is that you have found your truth in the
    writings of scripture, and thus hold it to be supreme. While I hold
    scripture in high standing, I do not hold it as truth, at least not
    absolute truth for matters which do not appear to be among its reasons
    for being. The language is, for me, clearly a "language of appearances,"
    and written to speak to people of al ages, not merely 21st century
    western scientific civilization. As I point out the beautiful sunset to
    my grandson, do I say "look at the beautiful horizon-rise?" Well --
    actually I do that sometimes, partly as a joke and partly to stimulate
    his thinking. But for the writers of scripture to do this would have been
    ludicrous.

    Burgy (John Burgeson)

    GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
    http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.