RE: Before Dembski becomes a martyr

From: SteamDoc@aol.com
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 11:22:24 EDT

    I think the disagreement between Glenn and Bryan here comes about because
    there are *two* problems with Bill Dembski's statements, and Glenn is
    focusing on one while Bryan is focusing on the other.

    One problem was lack of respect for authority (and poor judgment in
    expressing that lack of respect so arrogantly). I think that is mainly what
    Glenn was pointing out -- that you can't expect to keep your job if you
    insult your boss (and that obeying those in authority over you is something
    Christians are generally supposed to do). No "double standard" there as
    Glenn is not disobeying any human authority by what he wrote.

    But Dembski's other problem was his contemptuous, uncharitable tone toward
    brothers and sisters in Christ on the Baylor faculty. I think Bryan (not
    without reason) saw a similar tone in Glenn's posting, and that is the aspect
    he is objecting to.

    I think Dembski was out of line for both reasons, and share Glenn's hope that
    he is not turned into a martyr for something that he brought upon himself and
    could have avoided by not sneering at his colleagues. But maybe we should
    all aim for expressing such thoughts in more grace-ful ways.

    Allan

    In a message dated Mon, 23 Oct 2000 1:42:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "glenn
    morton" <glenn.morton@btinternet.com> writes:

    << > glenn morton wrote:

    > > Well, I was wrong--at least until Bill Dembski opened his big
    > mouth. . . .
    >
    > > What happened to the
    > > Christian virtue of obedience to authority . . .
    >
    > What happened to the Christian virtue of respect? following the
    > Golden Rule, loving one's enemy?

    Sometimes telling someone the bad news that they aren't perfect and don't
    have the right to criticize the boss with impunity is a loving act. And
    trying to avoid having Dembski turned into a martyr when he doesn't deserve
    to be, is nothing more than being discerning.

    > If Bill's comments were inappropriate, this kind of remark is no
    > less so. The double standard is disturbing.

    It is not a double standard. <SNIP>