Before Dembski becomes a martyr

From: glenn morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2000 - 05:27:32 EDT

    Before the Christian community has its normal reaction to turn Bill Dembski
    into a martyr of evil evolutionists, a few things need to be said.

    I attended and reviewed The Nature of Nature Conference in Waco earlier this
    year. I thoroughly enjoyed the conference and thought it was well done. (see
    http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/wacofinal.htm). In that final comment I also
    mentioned that Baylor was going to kill the Polanyi Center. The reason I
    felt that way was that the Polanyi Center had been set up without any
    faculty input whatsoever. That enraged the Baylor science faculty. The
    faculty felt that this had been an underhanded way of founding the Center.
    I asked Paul Nelson about this one evening at the conference. Paul said
    something to the effect that if they had not taken that road, the Polanyi
    Center would never have been set up. I then asked Paul if they really
    trusted God? I further asked if it was OK to do things in an out of the
    ordinary way as long as we were doing it for God? Because of the anger I
    saw with some of the Baylor faculty, I felt that the Polanyi Center was
    doomed and said so in all my reviews.

    Well, I was wrong--at least until Bill Dembski opened his big mouth. Baylor
    released a press release (http://pr.baylor.edu/polanyi) saying that the
    Polanyi Center would survive, its name would be changed, and that a faculty
    committee would be appointed to over see it. Dembski was referred to as the
    Director and was presumably to remain director. The press release stated:

    "The report further stated that "the committee wishes to make it clear that
    it considers research on the logical structure of mathematical arguments for
    intelligent design to have a legitimate claim to a place in current
    discussions of the relations of religion and the sciences." Polanyi Center
    Director William Dembski's research and writings in the area of intelligent
    design have been the most controversial aspects of the Center's work, even
    though its academic mission is much broader."

    GRM: The ID group had won their case and with a small set of changes, the
    Center would continue. That is until Dembski sent out the following
    dance-on-their-graves press release (Notice that Dembski himself refers to
    himself as 'director'.):