Evolvability of yeast with prions

From: pruest@pop.dplanet.ch
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 11:40:47 EDT

    Marcio Pie wrote:
    > [...]
    > >The prion system, like a mutation in any translation factor, may
    > >interfere with many genes at once. What makes the prion system a very
    > >special case is that a prion is autocatalytically produced from its
    > >"normal" cellular conformer. The yeast prion [PSI+] is a
    > > [...]
    > >Within the given cell line, this "epigenetic" change is heritable. But
    > >it can be reversed by counterselection.
    >
    > But isn't it the germ line heritability what really matters? Isn't this
    > just a kind of molecular-level phenotypic plasticity? If it is, what is
    > so revolutionary about it to be published in Nature?

    The yeast [PSI+] state acts as a cytoplasmically inherited
    nonsense-suppressor (read-through of a stop codon), whereas normal
    nonsense-suppressors for a specific type of stop codon (amber, ochre,
    opal in bacteria - I assume they also occur in yeast) are genomically
    inherited mutations (of course, single-cell organisms like yeast are
    their own "germ line"). Both types of suppressor state can be reversed
    occasionally, but I don't know how the frequencies of prion reversion
    and genomic suppressor backmutation compare, and therefore I can't tell
    what "really matters" in yeast regarding evolution or phenotypic
    plasticity. Furthermore, prions can be artificially "cured" (by
    guanidine hydorchloride), therefore this prion reversion might also be
    induced by some natural environmental conditions - which would not be
    the case for genome mutations.

    > [...]
    > >Both the pseudogene and the prion systems, however, can only activate
    > >something that already exists. If this is to be a new functionality, it
    > >must have emerged by a mutational random walk in the cryptic state,
    > >hidden from natural selection. Can we expect really novel
    > >functionalities to emerge by such random processes extending over
    > >several mutations, but without intermediate selection?
    >
    > I totally agree with you here. It seems to me that, over time, there should
    > be an exponential decrease in the probability that this potentially new
    > function could arise. Maybe this is the reason why the rate of gene
    > duplications seems to be surprisingly high (at least to me) in some cases
    > (sometimes in the order of 10^-3 per generation!!). Eventually this
    > pseudogene should be deleted, otherwise genome size would grow
    > exponentially, together with the accompanying costs. By the way, do you
    > have any idea of how this overflow of new pseudogenes could be detected
    > and removed from the genome?

    Why do you expect a decrease in the probability that new functions could
    arise? IF they arise at all by random-walk mutational sequences in
    unused DNA (to be detected and put to use by means of prions or other
    suppressor mutations, or backmutations in pseudogenes), I would expect
    the frequency of their emergence to remain stable, on the average.

    Gene duplications occur by unequal crossing-over during DNA replication,
    which, for unused DNA, will result in DNA loss about as often as DNA
    gain, on the average (as for required DNA, of course, loss would be
    lethal). So, here too, I would expect some kind of dynamic equilibrium.
    The average percentage of unused DNA will be the result of a balance
    between cost and benefit. The cost may be mainly metabolic cost, the
    benefit might include security against deleterious mutations by
    duplication of function, cryptic backup systems for special environments
    or stress, raw material for microevolutionary possibilities.

    Peter Ruest