Re: Meaning of "fine-tuning"

From: Doug Hayworth (hayworth@uic.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 16:35:01 EDT

    I'm okay with George's definition, *If in fact* that is precisely how it is
    used by those who discuss the Anthropic Principle (AP) in philosophy and
    apologetics. I just wonder if this specific definition is actually used in
    practice. It seems as if the term encourages a view of the AP in which God
    is filling gaps.

    As for Steve's analogy of an instrument from the factory, it is making
    exactly the point I have trouble with. Why shouldn't God's creation be
    perfectly "in tune" when it ships from His factory? Must he subsequently
    "fine-tune" the instrument upon arrival at our door? His analogy doesn't
    work for me. My view is that God's instruments ship to the customer
    complete with their own gifted abilities to keep themselves in tune. They
    don't need subsequent adjusting.

    Doug