Re: Meaning of "fine-tuning"

From: Steve Krogh (panterragroup@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 20:10:07 EDT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Doug Hayworth <hayworth@uic.edu>
    To: <asa@calvin.edu>
    Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2000 3:35 PM
    Subject: Re: Meaning of "fine-tuning"

    > As for Steve's analogy of an instrument from the factory, it is making
    > exactly the point I have trouble with. Why shouldn't God's creation be
    > perfectly "in tune" when it ships from His factory? Must he subsequently
    > "fine-tune" the instrument upon arrival at our door? His analogy doesn't
    > work for me. My view is that God's instruments ship to the customer
    > complete with their own gifted abilities to keep themselves in tune. They
    > don't need subsequent adjusting.
    >
    > Doug

    The differentiation I made was in "fine tuning" as opposed to "re-tuning." I
    wasn't necessarily trying to make a statement about finished or unfinished.
    Although, the more I think about it, there may be a correlation, indeed.
    When I do get a new instrument from the factory, the slides will have to be
    readjusted to play in tune with different groups, in different halls,
    different environments all together, for instance temperature. This happens
    in a dynamic environment. While this "fine-tuning" doesn't improve the
    inherent quality of the instrument, (it's already perfect, if I do say so,
    myself) it's just that it will be able to play better and sound right in
    different ensembles and locations. However, maintaining the instrument's
    inherent value requires putting a lot of work into it, especially if you
    want to sell it.

    -Steve