Re: 'Frankenfish' or Tomorrow's Dinner?

From: James_Taggart@multilink.com
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 16:53:54 EDT

    Wayne wrote:

    I think in the case of the genetically modified (GM) corn, it might
    have been insect resistant corn and the monarch butterfly was an
    inadvertant victim. However, even the mindset that we need *more*
    toxins in plants because insects are becoming resistant to the current
    arsenal of insecticides seems to me the wrong way of solving the
    problem.

    Comment:
    Given that the insect resistant corn injured the Monarch butterfly habitat,
    people are
    forgetting that the alternative to this scenario is NOT corn that is not
    insect resistant.

    Before there was insect resistant corn, the problem was addressed by
    spraying insecticide
    from airplanes on to the corn, thereby affecting not just Monarch
    butterflies feeding nearby
    (a problem that could be addressed by planting the no-resistant kind in a
    border around
    the field, so the pollen from the poisonous kind was less likely to invade
    monarch habitat),
    but any birds that happened to be flying by, cars passing near the field,
    children and dogs
    playing in yards, etc.

    So you get your choice, corn that looks out for itself locally, or gets
    bombed from the air.
    Those are the real alternatives.