Re: Demand for Definiton of Design

From: George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 10:56:55 EDT

    RDehaan237@aol.com wrote:

    > In a message dated 7/1/2000 8:40:16 AM, gmurphy@raex.com writes:
    >
    > << Your examples which I snip) point out the possibility of studying a
    > subject
    > without being able to give a precise & unambiguous definition of the subject
    > matter. An example even closer to the ID debate can be given - "life".
    > Biology studies living
    > things, yet a precise & unambiguous definition of "life" or "living" is
    > difficult. You
    > can get a good debate going among some scientists by asking whether viruses
    > are alive. But in reality biologists don't worry about the lack of such a
    > precise definition and operate a "If it walks like a duck ..." understanding
    > of life.
    > Now is "intelligent design" the same sort of thing? It depends on what
    > types of
    > phenomena are being considered. Art critics or historians of technology
    > recognize quite explicitly that they are studying the products of ID & don't
    > have to worry about defining just what ID _is_: "Everybody" knows that there
    > have been human beings around to produce paintings, clocks, &c & only a few
    > people on the fringes of those fields are going to argue that these things
    > were produced by dolphins or ETs.
    > The situation is different when we ask study living things, because here
    > there
    > definitely is NOT a tacit consensus that they have been "intelligently
    > designed". The
    > claim that they have been is precisely the point at issue. Thus a more
    > explicit &
    > careful definition is needed, which is what Howard is asking for. This is
    > especially so because what the term "intelligent design" in fact connotes for
    > most people on both sides of the debate is "made by God in a way science
    > can't explain."
    > Shalom,
    > George >>
    >
    > Thanks, George, for your clarifying remarks. Of course, I agree that
    > intelligent design is an inference, a judgment. But I fail to see that it
    > requires a prior definition of the term. Let me give an example and you tell
    > me why it requires a prior definition of design.
    >
    > This has to do with the biconvex lens of the trilobite eye. (Taken from
    > _Trilobites_ Riccardo Levi-Straus, 1993, pp. 44-57 passim). Levi-Straus
    > wrote:
    >
    > "The biconvex lenses of trilobites are made up of the doublet structures that
    > were constructed for an unmistakable purpose: to correct for the large
    > spherical distortion (aberration) of simple thick lenses....
    >
    > "When we humans construct optical elements, we sometimes cement together two
    > lenses that have different refracting indices, as a means of correcting
    > particular lens defects. In fact, this doublet is a device so typically
    > associated with human invention that its discovery in trilobites comes as
> [...]

    Bob -
            I think we all recognize that there are a lot of biological structures (a)
    whose origin has not been explained in neo-Darwinian termas 7 (2) bear strong analogies
    to things constructed by human beings. & in an informal way we may say that they were
    "designed" for certain functions. But that need not be taken as an explanation of how
    they came about any more than does the phrase from your post, "The realization that
    trilobites developed and used such devices ..." has to be taken to mean that the
    trilobites themselves designed & constructed their eyes as a human telescope maker would
    design & construct an instrument.
            Granted, we can sometimes operate with tacit understanding of certain terms.
    But when the concepts associated with those terms become matters of scientific debate,
    they need more careful definition. Before ~1905 "everybody knew" what absolute time
    was. When Einstein began examining basic issues associated with space & time he had to
    ask himself what absolute time meant & found that the concept had to be dropped.
            The question of definition of ID has been raised, & I agree with Howard in
    thinking it striking that ID proponents are so coy about trying to provide
    non-circular definitions which contribute to clarification of the debate.
                                                    Shalom,
                                                    George
    George L. Murphy
    gmurphy@raex.com