Re: archaeology and the Bible

From: Stein A. Strømme (stromme@mi.uib.no)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 10:16:47 EDT

    Thanks for the references, Bryan.

    [Bryan R. Cross]

    | For less recent biblical archaeological evidence, see
    | <http://www.mindspring.com/~mamcgee/grace_archaeology.html>

    OK, on that page I find this, which touches on a point which has been
    interesting me for quite a while:

         For many critics the account of the birth of Jesus was held
         as ridiculous. They argued that there was no census, that
         Quirinius was not Governor of Syria at that time and that
         everyone did not have to return to his ancestral home for a
         census.
         Archaeology has proven the critics wrong (again) ---

         * The Romans had a regular enrollment of taxpayers and held
             censuses every 14 years. The procedure was begun under
             Augustus.

    I seem to remember that the censuses did not cover Palestine until
    after the death of Herod the Great. I may be wrong here. Are there
    any historians on the list?

         * Quirinius was Governor of Syria about 7 B.C.

    Has this been "proven by archaeology"? I thought it was at least 10
    years later.

         * A papyrus found in Egypt gives directions for the conduct of
             a census. Families were to return to their own governments to
             complete family registration of the enrollment and that the
             tilled lands might retain those belonging to them.

    But going back to where your ancestors lived 1000 years before? After
    all, already David moved from Bethlehem!

    Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the gospel details such as these
    confirmed by external evidence, but often such alleged evidence does
    not hold up if you look closer.

    --
    Stein Arild Strømme <mailto:stromme@mi.uib.no>  telefon +47 55584825
    Universitetet i Bergen, Matematisk insitutt       mobil +47 95801887