Re: Demand for Definiton of Design

From: RDehaan237@aol.com
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 17:09:06 EDT

    In a message dated 7/1/2000 8:40:16 AM, gmurphy@raex.com writes:

    << Your examples which I snip) point out the possibility of studying a
    subject
    without being able to give a precise & unambiguous definition of the subject
    matter. An example even closer to the ID debate can be given - "life".
    Biology studies living
    things, yet a precise & unambiguous definition of "life" or "living" is
    difficult. You
    can get a good debate going among some scientists by asking whether viruses
    are alive. But in reality biologists don't worry about the lack of such a
    precise definition and operate a "If it walks like a duck ..." understanding
    of life.
        Now is "intelligent design" the same sort of thing? It depends on what
    types of
    phenomena are being considered. Art critics or historians of technology
    recognize quite explicitly that they are studying the products of ID & don't
    have to worry about defining just what ID _is_: "Everybody" knows that there
    have been human beings around to produce paintings, clocks, &c & only a few
    people on the fringes of those fields are going to argue that these things
    were produced by dolphins or ETs.
        The situation is different when we ask study living things, because here
    there
    definitely is NOT a tacit consensus that they have been "intelligently
    designed". The
    claim that they have been is precisely the point at issue. Thus a more
    explicit &
    careful definition is needed, which is what Howard is asking for. This is
    especially so because what the term "intelligent design" in fact connotes for
    most people on both sides of the debate is "made by God in a way science
    can't explain."
                                    Shalom,
                                    George >>

    Thanks, George, for your clarifying remarks. Of course, I agree that
    intelligent design is an inference, a judgment. But I fail to see that it
    requires a prior definition of the term. Let me give an example and you tell
    me why it requires a prior definition of design.

    This has to do with the biconvex lens of the trilobite eye. (Taken from
    _Trilobites_ Riccardo Levi-Straus, 1993, pp. 44-57 passim). Levi-Straus