Re: intelligent design

From: Bryan R. Cross (crossbr@SLU.EDU)
Date: Sat Jul 01 2000 - 23:01:37 EDT

    SteamDoc@aol.com wrote:

    > [...] Phillip Johnson wrote:
    > > "My views are explained in by writings, especially Reason in theBalance (
    > > the Appendix is particularly important) and The Wedge ofTruth. Among
    > > my views are these: (1) God can and does act bywhatever means He chooses,
    > > including superintendence of natural processes; and (2) I do not allow
    > other
    > > persons, especially persons who think in naturalistic categories, to
    > > put their own (vague) words in my mouth - e.g., "if evolution" (
    > > undefined) "turns out to be true" (as determined by reasoning based upon
    > > methodological naturalism?). The question is not what God can do but what
    > the
    > > neo-Darwinian mechanism can do, when its creative power has to be
    > > demonstrated by experiment rather than deduced from naturalistic
    > assumptions.&
    > > nbsp; I do not cooperate with attempts to evade that question."
    > > I think that pretty much settles the question.
    >
    > I think that pretty much evades the question, as Johnson continues to avoid
    > explaining his theology of God's action in nature. He gives lip service to
    > God being able to work through natural processes.

    That clearly isn't the charitable interpretation of Phil's statement.

    > The question is, if
    > Johnson's evaluation of the evidence is incorrect and natural evolutionary
    > mechanisms really do explain (at a physical level; I'm not talking about
    > ultimate causation) the development of life (I fail to see what is "vague"
    > about such a statement), does that exclude God from being the Creator.
    > If so, then Johnson, if he is consistent, would also have to say that God is
    > not the creator of stars and mountains, since we have well-verified
    > explanations for their formation in terms of "naturalistic" mechanisms that
    > make no reference to God.

    The answer to your first question is 'no'. Therefore, the second conditional is
    irrelevant.

    > If not, then one may argue the evidence for and against Darwinian evolution
    > as a scientific question, but it should have no theological impact. In which
    > case Johnson's arguments are not defense of the faith, but just another
    > argument about whether or not scientific consensus is correct or not, much
    > like his writings on HIV and AIDS.

    Yes. Exactly. Johnson's arguments against macroevolution are not drawn from
    theology but from scientific evidence (whether he is right or wrong). The
    theological impact has to do with exposing methodological naturalism. (As a side
    note, for those who hold that it is a theologically-established truth that God
    directly acted upon nature after creation say, to create new life, scientific
    confirmation or refutation of that claim will obviously have a theological
    impact.)

    > Maybe we could try him on another question:
    > From a theological standpoint, are explanations of the development of life in
    > terms of "natural" mechanisms incompatible with Christianity? If so, are the
    > "natural" explanations of the formation of mountains in terms of plate
    > tectonics also incompatible with Christianity?

    Your good analogy provides the answer your own question. 'Natural' explanations
    of mountain formation are obviously not incompatible with the doctrine of
    providence, proving that in principle, natural explanations are not incompatible
    with the doctrine of providence. Therefore, to be consistent, it must in fact be
    a scientific, not a theological reason, that forms the basis for rejecting a
    particular natural explanation (e.g. neo-Darwinian evolution) of a particular
    event (e.g. the origin of various forms of life).

    > I think all the arguments about the scientific evidence are a waste of time
    > until these fundamental philosophical issues about how God is allowed to act
    > in the world, and about what natural explanations "mean" metaphysically, are
    > thought through.

    Why do you think that? Do you think it is not possible for a theist to reach
    conclusions about scientific evidence for any particular natural phenomena until
    he or she has worked out a theology of divine action through second causes? If
    so, it would seem quite easy to provide counterexamples. If not, then why not?

    > Richard Dawkins thinks natural explanations like evolution
    > "mean" that God is not there. I disagree, based on what the Bible says about
    > God's sovereignty over nature. Phil Johnson *appears* to agree with Dawkins
    > on this fundamental view; at least he keeps dodging opportunities to disagree
    > with Dawkins' view of what evolution means. Once one agrees with Dawkins
    > there, one has sold out to semi-deism and must then argue against the science
    > as though the truth of the faith were at stake.

    Phil Johnson "appears" to agree with Dawkins only if one (mis)interprets his
    affirmation of providence as mere "lip service". Somehow, you interpret Johnson's
    view of the nature of providential action through natural causes as equivalent to
    Dawkins's "natural causes alone without any providence". But there is absolutely
    no justification for such an equivalence claim. Believing that there are limits
    to what can be done by means of providence does not entail or imply (in any way)
    a rejection or diminution of the doctrine of providence. Denying this begs the
    question.

    George Murphy wrote:

    >You are quite right & Johnson's statement:
    >
    > "The question is not what God can do but what the neo-Darwinian
    mechanism can
    > do, when its creative power has to be demonstrated by experiment rather
    than
    > deduced from naturalistic assumptions."
    >
    >gets it completely wrong. _If_ God could create through a neo-Darwinian
    mechanism then
    >the question of whether or not that mechanism is correct is of purely scientific

    >interest & all the rhetoric about the baneful effects neo-Darwinism in itself
    would
    >become pointless.

    The so-called 'rhetoric' is not about the baneful effects of neo-Darwinism per
    se, but about the theological bias of the methodological naturalism that
    presently undergirds neo-Darwinism. That life and all its diversity originated
    via macroevolution by natural causes is very far from being established
    scientifically. The presumption, indeed the emphatic insistence, that it can all
    be explained via natural causes, before the evidence is there to support such a
    claim, is a symptom of a methodology that is intrinsically hostile to the
    possibility of God acting directly upon nature.

    > It would then be a matter of pointing out that Dawkins, Provine et al
    >draw incorrect inferences from the theory, whether or not it is correct.

    True.

    > Secondly, PJ's apparent belief that one can do science with "experiment"
    apart
    >from "assumptions" suggest that his understanding of the way science works is
    pretty
    >much on a level with his understanding of theology.

    Again, the uncharitable misconstrual. Johnson never said that one can do science
    without assumptions. He is opposing 'scientific' claims based on naturalistic
    assumptions. He wants the data to be interpreted *without* the assumption that
    nothing beyond nature is necessary and therefore *with* open-mindedness to the
    possibility of direct divine action.

    I hope that my perception is mistaken, but it appears that you are not that
    concerned about accurately and charitably interpreting Johnson. Hopefully there
    is some other explanation.

    - Bryan