Re: intelligent design

From: SteamDoc@aol.com
Date: Sun Jul 02 2000 - 00:36:12 EDT

    In a message dated 7/1/00 9:02:16 PM Mountain Daylight Time, crossbr@SLU.EDU
    writes:

    > SteamDoc@aol.com wrote:
    >
    > > I think all the arguments about the scientific evidence are a waste of
    > time
    > > until these fundamental philosophical issues about how God is allowed to
    > act
    > > in the world, and about what natural explanations "mean" metaphysically,
    > are
    > > thought through.
    >
    > Why do you think that? Do you think it is not possible for a theist to
    reach
    > conclusions about scientific evidence for any particular natural phenomena
    > until
    > he or she has worked out a theology of divine action through second
    causes?

    I should have phrased that more carefully. It is OK for a Christian to talk
    about scientific evidence without working through the metaphysics first. I
    meant that *injecting the scientific arguments into Christian apologetics*
    was a bad idea if the theology was not thought through first. And certainly
    the Phil Johnson movement is more about apologetics than about concern for
    reaching correct scientific conclusions. At least that is the way it is
    played in the church. Johnson has been given opportunities to disavow the
    use of his writings about evolution in "God of the Gaps" apologetics, but
    instead he seems to revel in playing defender of the faith.

    > He wants the data to be interpreted *without* the assumption that
    > nothing beyond nature is necessary and therefore *with* open-mindedness to
    > the possibility of direct divine action.

    Such "open-mindedness" is fine with me. But is Johnson "open" to the
    possibility that God might not have acted in the way Johnson thinks he should
    have? There's a place in "Defeating Darwinism" (which I don't have in front
    of me) where Johnson basically says that a "real God" would not act in such a
    behind-the-scenes way. Dembski sneers at the idea of a "stealth God" who
    would do his work providentially. If Johnson believes in providence so that
    such "direct divine action" is not theologically necessary, he should be
    working to correct all those in the church who see the truth of theism as
    tied to God creating by such means.

    >I hope that my perception is mistaken, but it appears that you are not that
    >concerned about accurately and charitably interpreting Johnson. Hopefully
    >there is some other explanation.

    I'm quite concerned about accuracy, but I'm probably not as charitable as I
    should be. Not to excuse that, but years of seeing these things from Johnson
    and the theological abominations many Christians take from them
    ("Christianity isn't false after all because Phil Johnson is showing that
    evolution isn't true after all.") has taxed my charity. It is also not an
    excuse but is perhaps germane to note that Johnson is often uncharitable to
    his Christian critics ("accommodationists" is a common label, and he has
    accused Christian profs in science of adopting methodological naturalism out
    of selfish career concern).

    Dr. Allan H. Harvey, Boulder, Colorado | SteamDoc@aol.com
    "Any opinions expressed here are mine, and should not be
     attributed to my employer, my wife, or my cats"