Re: Egg on both our faces

From: David Campbell (bivalve@email.unc.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 11:41:53 EST

    >1. Peppered moths

    Only problem with this example is that it still fits with evolution.
    Doubts have been raised as to whether the proposed explanation of bird
    predation works, but the fact remains that black moths took over in Britain
    for a while.

    >2. Piltdown man/Nebraska man

    Neither of these fit evolutionary patterns. Early hominids are in Africa,
    not England or the Americas, and enlargemetn of the brain folloed
    improvements in upright walking.

    >3. Haekel's (sp.) embryos
    >4. National Geographic's bird/dino fossil

    Along the lines of Keith's post, it should be noted that these errors have
    been spotted and corrected by "evolutionists", not YECs.

    Including bad theology, e.g. god of the gaps or random implies no god
    claims, would be appropriate.

    >Poor YEC evidences - "as taught by your Sunday School teacher"
    >
    >1. the plesiosaur and the Japanese trawler
    >2. moon dust - NASA worries about sinking Apollo astronauts
    >3. dating fossils by geologic column and the geologic column by the fossils
    >4. earth's dying magnetic field

    I have yet to encounter YEC evidence that is not poor.

    I would advocate including some of the bogus historical claims, e.g.,
    related to 3, there is the claim that the geologic column was created to
    support evolutionary views and that purportedly primitive fossils were put
    on the bottom. In fact, the fossils that were on the bottom were put on
    the bottom. Only later was it realized that the pattern fit an
    evolutionary sequence. Try looking up William Smith's work.

    Bad theology might be good to include here. Huse, in The Collape of
    Evolution, claimed that I Cor. 15:39 supports special creation of distinct
    "kinds", yet the whole point of the passage is in verse 51: "we shall not
    all sleep, but we shall all be changed." This is not an attempt to scare
    off potential volunteers in the Corinthian nursery. Rather, it says that
    God will transform our selves, not merely earthly but sinful, into heavenly
    natures. To claim that this proves God cannot transform one earthly nature
    into another is ridiculous. The advocating of "applied" science only in
    the YEC-proposed Kansas standards is another example of bad theology. It
    denies a purpose in seeking to understand God's creation, contrary to the
    mandate of Gen. 1:26, such as when God commanded Adam to name the animals.

    Related to the purportedly dying magnetic field is the denial of magnetic
    reversals. The discussion in Huse was apparently built by taking a
    description of the bands of reversed and normal magnetism on the sea floor
    out of an introductory geology text and attacking it. The most basic flaw
    in the argument is that if an actual sample is collected that can be
    manipulated in the lab, a reversed magnetic field can be measured (assuming
    the magnetic alignment occurred during a periosd of reversed polarity).
    Trying to explain the bands on the seafloor as thicker and thinner crust
    runs into several problems, including 1) the crust is not thicker or
    thinner; 2) it would take some sort of magnetic shielding to decrease the
    measured field relative to the earth's field without having magnetic
    reversal; 3) the rapid creation of thicker and thinner bands is no easier
    to explain by a young earth model than the rapid creation of magnetic
    reversals. It is merely an ill-informed attempt to discredit geology.

    At least one of the kiddie books purporting to provide the correct YEC
    account of dinosaurs features a transitional form on the front cover, as
    defined by YECSs who do not understand evolution. The pterosaur has bat
    wings. Such a mix and match creature might be created by special creation
    of kinds, but not by evolutionary continuity.

    David Campbell