RE: ID

From: Joel Z Bandstra (bandstra@ese.ogi.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 13:19:25 EST

    Not sure I understand what Bosons have to do with the dice experiment (see
    below). The particles are distinguishable!

    Anyway, there exists a wealth of literature on complexity and self
    organization. So much so that for glenn to come up with an appropriate
    example would be a waste of time (unless, of course, Glenn's business is
    that of studying complexity). I suggest instead to start by searching for
    articles in Phys Rev E and then go from there. Other journals that have
    some good complexity stuff from time to time are Int. J. Theor. Phys and
    Physica D. An author that I have found particularly useful in my own
    research is J P Crutchfield, for an easy read see the article by this
    author in Physica D v. 75 pp 11-54. A book which might be useful is
    "Complexity, Entropy, and the Physics of Information" Edited by W. H.
    Zurek and published by Addison Wesley. I don't expect people (Bert Massie
    included) to accept self-organization simply on the word of a bunch of
    crazy haired physicists but it would probably benefit those who would like
    to argue against such possibilities to actually figure out what is the
    state of the art.

    BTW: Glenn's point that self organizing complexity is not a phenomena that
    one would expect in completely stochastic systems is a good one. There
    exists a range of phenomena between random and periodic and it is these
    in-between systems that are typically characterized as "complex".