Egg on both our faces

From: MccarrickAD@nswccd.navy.mil
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 08:38:57 EST

    Here I come again with another request for ideas.

    I am teaching a Christian high-school "paleontology" class. I would like to
    have the students do a little bit of tough research. They will be looking
    at some statements of "fact" made by the more zealous advocates of
    naturalistic evolution and YEC which turn out to be either dead wrong or
    badly misrepresented. This is not to belittle well meaning Christians, or
    besmirch all scientists, rather it is to increase the students willingness
    to think on their own and to carry more salt in their pockets.

    I want to select an equal number of topics from both sides. Some of my
    first thoughts are below, but I would like to hear your best ideas.

    Poor Evolutionary evidences - "as found in your biology book"

    1. Peppered moths
    2. Piltdown man/Nebraska man
    3. Haekel's (sp.) embryos
    4. National Geographic's bird/dino fossil

    Poor YEC evidences - "as taught by your Sunday School teacher"

    1. the plesiosaur and the Japanese trawler
    2. moon dust - NASA worries about sinking Apollo astronauts
    3. dating fossils by geologic column and the geologic column by the fossils
    4. earth's dying magnetic field

    Al McCarrick