Polystrate Trees

From: Dale K Stalnaker (Dale.K.Stalnaker@grc.nasa.gov)
Date: Fri Jun 30 2000 - 13:18:47 EDT

    > > Hi,
    > > I'm looking for some info on polystrate trees in Australia. Apparently in
    > > an ICR "Back to Genesis" video it is claimed that in some locations in
    > > Australia there are fossilized trees that go from one coal seam up through
    > > sandstone and then penetrate another seem. Actually the claim (not
    > > directly quoted from the video) is made that "One he pointed out had been
    > > reported by a Geologist near the turn of the century as penetrating through
    > > dozens of feet of sandstone and through still another much higher coal seam
    > > above." I guess the others don't go through multiple seams but are
    > > implied there might be others. I know all about Joggins etc.. but don't
    > > know anything about these claims from Australia. Anyone know of any
    > > literature on these coal beds. I notice that "Impact" No. 316 on the
    > > Joggins polystrate trees mentions that there are many other places around
    > > the world where trees do this but none are specifically mentioned. Any
    > > help would be appreciated.
    > > Joel Duff

    > > Dr. R. Joel Duff, Assistant Professor
    > > Dept. of Biology, ASEC 185
    > > Campus Mail 3908
    > > University of Akron
    > > Akron, OH 44325-3908
    > > Office: 330-972-6077
    > > e-mail: rjduff@uakron.edu

    Joel,

    The Talk-Origins web site has an article about "Polystrate Trees" at
    <http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/polystrate/trees.html> as a rebuttal to
    the young-earth creationists claims. The author refers to fossilized trees
    found upright in Nova Scotia and even uses a citation from the 19th century
    to show that it was not a problem to geologists of that time.

    Dale Stalnaker

    Dale K. Stalnaker
    NASA/Glenn Research Center
    Power & Propulsion Office