Re: intelligent design

From: Bryan R. Cross (crossbr@SLU.EDU)
Date: Fri Jun 30 2000 - 09:49:56 EDT

    dfsiemensjr@juno.com wrote:

    > On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 15:26:15 -0500 "Wendee Holtcamp"
    > <wendee@greendzn.com> writes:
    > > What the heck is this intelligent design theory anyway. I have heard
    > > it used for 4 years or so but have not the foggiest what it
    > > theorizes.
    > >
    > > Obviously it is promoted by certain Christian scientists. I know
    > > most
    > > will say "get this book" etc. But can someone give me a quickie
    > > explanation of what their theory is, and what parts of evolution
    > > they
    > > accept/don't accept? Do they believe that each species was
    > > "specially
    > > created" in its present form? Do they accept a YEC or OEC view, or
    > > both camps?
    > >
    > > Thanks for the quick insight...
    > >
    > > Wendee
    > >
    > ID involves some form of OEC, at least among those I know. The simplest
    > example comes under Behe's "irreducible complexity," which involves the
    > direct introduction of the "mechanism" by something external to the
    > natural causation. Dembski adds the claim that it is possible to detect
    > ID as distinct from accident or causal sequence.
    >
    > Dave

    ID doesn't involve some form of OEC, otherwise YECs couldn't embrace it.
    Among ID theorists there are both YECs and OECs. ID theory is the claim
    that intelligent design is empirically detectable and that evidence for
    intelligent design can be found in various scientific disciplines (e.g.
    cosmology, biology). ID theory per se is not committed to post-creation
    'divine intervention' (though of course it is open to it) nor to any
    particular 'time' of the operation of intelligent agency. (There is a wide
    range of opinions among those supporting ID theory on just where in nature
    intelligent design is evident and what that evidence implies about the
    operation of intelligent agency in the history of the cosmos.) ID theory
    per se simply entails that intelligent design is present in nature and
    detectable in nature.

    - Bryan