Re: Homo erectus genes in us

From: Bryan Cross (crossbr@SLU.EDU)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2000 - 16:20:00 EDT

    Doug Hayworth wrote:

    > At 05:24 PM 6/28/00 -0500, you wrote:

    [snip]

    > My point was that data (such as Glen has
    > posted examples of) strongly support the fact of common ancestry, in which
    > case it is utter nonsense for Phil Johnson and others to make statements
    > that microevolution is "acceptable" while macroevolution is not (he says
    > this flat-out all the time). This is why I coupled my statement about the
    > continuity of micro- and macroevolution to the statement "wedge of truth
    > meets dose of reality". It was my way of adding support to Glen's frequent
    > statements that these Christians need to face up to some hard cold
    > data. God's Creation is more complete, robust, formidable, and wonderful
    > than most people are willing to admit.
    >
    > Sincerely, Doug

    Doug,

    I don't know Phil Johnson's view on common ancestry. (I would suspect that he is
    rather skeptical.) But I think I understand his reason for claiming that
    microevolution but not macroevolution is acceptable. Common ancestry does not prove
    continuity of natural causes. Therefore, common ancestry per se reveals nothing
    about the creative capacity of nature. Common ancestry is a necessary but
    insufficient condition for macroevolution (as Phil uses the word, meaning not just
    speciation by natural causes alone, but development of all phyla from organic
    precursors by natural causes alone). What would count as evidence for
    macroevolution? Both (1) a continuous smooth genetic trajectory without any
    viability gaps beginning with organic precursors and continuing throughout the
    entire phylogenetic tree and (2) fossil and genetic evidence that correponds to
    that trajectory. Since we are still a long way from achieving (1), [we don't yet
    even have such a genetic trajectory for the origin of the simplest life form; it is
    all speculation at this point] it is scientifically and philosophically
    presumptious to declare that we know that nature did the whole thing on her own. I
    think that is Phil's point, and I agree with it. You might respond that it is
    presumptious to declare that nature *didn't* do the whole thing on her own. I
    agree. But Phil's point (insofar as I've got him correctly here) still stands.

    - Bryan