Editing what is we write

From: James W Stark (stark2301@voyager.net)
Date: Sat Jun 24 2000 - 11:36:43 EDT

    In a dialogue between Wayne and Jim (6/21/00) about Loren Haarsma's
    discussions with students (6/15/00), the topic of editing one's own writing
    surfaced. Could this forum be structured to intentionally assist the editing
    process rather than creating sometimes unintended "arguments"?
    Wayne:
    > Even if I did, could I really be sure that I
    > even understand clearly my own world view?
    Jim:
    This surprises me, perhaps because I have been
    polishing my own worldview for quite awhile. It
    does change over time depending on the conflicts
    I run into. Don't you think most writers know
    their personal worldviews?

    I *always* know what my motives are and they are
    perfectly rational. Its just that my logic gets
    in the way sometimes. <grin>

    Wayne:
    > .... It is very very difficult for a writer
       to be his/her own editor, and I suspect it would be
       even more difficult for a thinker to critique his/her
       own thinking.
    Jim:
    I have to set my writing aside for awhile to do a better
    job of editing. Writing in these forums is a real
    challenge to get my thoughts down in a clear manner to
    the reader.

    That is the well known strategy, but...... I stand
    with my original point. Writers cannot be their own
    editors, likewise philosophers cannot critique their own
    philosophy. How much less, the scientist who is
    saying only *he/she* knows how to do philosophy right.
    When such scientists dabble in philosophy,
    they usually think it is easy. Being a scientist,
    that concerns me.

    Do you agree with Wayne that "Writers cannot be their own editors, likewise
    philosophers cannot critique their own philosophy"?

    I find that I can edit my own writing, only if I place a fair amount of time
    between the initial writing and edited copy. How might this forum speed up
    the editing process?

    Jim Stark 6-24-00