Methane in the Archean... and Enoch

From: Adam Crowl (qraal@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 07:11:45 EDT

    Hi ASA

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: glenn morton <mortongr@flash.net>
    To: <PHSEELY@aol.com>; <adam@crowl.webcentral.com.au>
    Cc: <asa@calvin.edu>
    Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2000 6:51 AM
    Subject: Re: Methane in the late Archean

    But we're not even talking miracles when we talk about the opinion of the
    Ancients about Eden, Cain vs Abel, Nephilim, Flood and Babel... where do we
    stop believing??? There are plenty of Jewish "legends" that surround all
    those "events" and Orothodox Jews believe them. Who are we to disagree? By
    what measure do we decide what must be defended as History and what must be
    considered erroneous???

    Did you know that Jude quotes a prophecy from the "Book of Enoch"? We're
    talking about a multi-million year prophecy if your scenario is true. If
    Jude, brother of Jesus, could be wrong on a historical attribution then who
    else in the NT is wrong??? Jesus quotes Deutero-Isaiah as being Isaiah, and
    "Moses"... was he wrong? Or merely human in his understanding like his
    fellow Jews? Josephus believed a whole load of weird things about the Bible
    and its formation and they were the beliefs current in his day. If JC truly
    became flesh then surely he would've been as limited as his fellow Jews -
    and if he sought to correct them would he have killed the Gospel with
    disputes over authorship?

    It's these sorts of considerations of the Bible's own history that led me to
    reject a naive one-to-one map of Bible to History - BUT I don't deny that
    there MUST be some historical nucleus. But what details do we retain and
    what do we dump? Take Jonah... there was a prophet and a city, but was there
    a fish and quick-growing vine? Was there a pre-Diluvial humanity who lived
    for centuries??? 3 million Jews who walked out of Egypt? Or are these
    misunderstood figures that originally were much smaller?