RE: Question concerning HFC and Greenfreeze manufacturers

From: Vandergraaf, Chuck (vandergraaft@AECL.CA)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 12:53:15 EDT

    Allan,

    First of all, thanks for your comments on refrigeration. They are very
    helpful.

    As to your fourth point, you don't have to burn fossil fuels to generate the
    power to run the refrigerators. Neither hydro or nuclear power produce CO2,
    although both have their drawbacks. Yet in spite of the advantages of
    nuclear power, the current mindset is such that this form of energy
    production is not "politically correct" and is not even being considered. I
    sometimes wonder why God included U in the suite of elements when he created
    the universe if it were not for energy production. Uranium has no other
    known uses other than to produce energy (using U as a coloring agent in
    pottery went out some time ago). Unless the emerging economies choose
    nuclear over fossil fuels, it may be game over for all of us. And who is to
    tell them that they should do with less energy than we do? I'm sure my
    comments will pry open a large can of worms.

    Your fifth point is, IHMO, a very important one. Rather than quibbling
    about which refrigerant to use, it might be better to ask if we need the
    amount of refrigeration that we have become accustomed to. By simply car
    pooling with one other person, we can reduce the energy consumption to go to
    work by a factor of two. Having four other members in a car pool reduces
    one's energy consumption by 80%.

    I would suggest, though, that we don't have to choose between "arguing about
    the means of creation" and "being good stewards of creation." We can do
    both and I'm sure that most of us are doing both.

    As an aside, I attended the first conference of Christian environmentalists
    in Edmonton two years ago, where Cal de Witt was one of the featured
    speakers. However, I found that there was a wide spectrum in views among
    the attendees. I was, for example, surprised at the anti-nuclear stance of
    the people I spoke with and I am not convinced that the attendees.

    Chuck Vandergraaf
    Waste Technology Business Unit
    Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd.
    Pinawa, MB