RE: Question concerning HFC and Greenfreeze manufacturers

From: Adam Crowl (qraal@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jun 04 2000 - 04:38:46 EDT

    Hi ASA

    >From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@AECL.CA>
    >To: "'Allan Harvey'" <aharvey@boulder.nist.gov>
    >CC: asa@calvin.edu
    >Subject: RE: Question concerning HFC and Greenfreeze manufacturers
    >Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 12:53:15 -0400
    >
    >Allan,
    >
    >First of all, thanks for your comments on refrigeration. They are very
    >helpful.
    >
    >As to your fourth point, you don't have to burn fossil fuels to generate
    >the
    >power to run the refrigerators. Neither hydro or nuclear power produce
    >CO2,
    >although both have their drawbacks.

    Actually Hydro DOES PRODUCE CO2... firstly the decay of vegetation in the
    area the dam floods, and secondly the decay of vegetation that settles in
    the catchment created from the feeder rivers. Some hydro-schemes will
    produce MORE CO2 over their lifetimes than others of curse depending on the
    inflow rates of biodegradeable material.

    Adam

    PS Rather than waste $40 billion on missile defense that WON'T work I think
    Clinton should leave office committing the DOE to developing commercial
    fusion power in 20 years.