Re: Methods of quantifying affect

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Thu Dec 21 2000 - 23:14:11 EST

    >BV>"A good correlation" resembles the type of "scientific"
    >BV>evidence offered for Darwinism, which is why some people
    >BV>are skeptical of it.

    WRE
    >Correlation demonstrates the existence of a relationship.
    >While someone may dismiss any correlation based solely upon
    >how conveniently it fits his or her preconceptions, others are
    >likely to consider the merits.

    Chris
    If Bertvan does not think much of correlation as demonstrating causal
    relationships, I would like to offer her the chance of putting her money
    where her mouth (keyboard) is in a series of bets on just such issues, in
    cases where objective, quantifiable results can be determined (so as to
    avoid evasion on the part of the loser).

    I realize that this is not bloody likely to happen. Typical ID theorists
    seem to be *remarkably* unwilling to put up anything of value on the basis
    of their alleged confidence in their beliefs, especially if the particular
    case at hand is something that *can* be measured. Bertvan has been even
    foggier about specifying what she believes, in empirical terms, than Jones has.

    >BV>Furthermore, it was love and hate that Chris claimed could
    >BV>be measured in the brain, which are much more complex than
    >BV>"happy" or "sad".

    Chris
    I did not actually say that they could be measured in the brain. However, I
    would have *included* brain measurements as part of the method of doing so.

    >And Chris can provide details for those if he wishes.
    >
    >What I'm pointing out is that scientific inquiry is inclusive
    >of affect, and there are successful approaches to putting this
    >on a quantitative basis. Affect is related to the states of
    >"love" and "hate", I think most would agree.
    >
    >Earlier, BerthaJane said:
    >
    >BV>Choice, free will, spontaneity, creativity, consciousness
    >BV>and emotions were probably all necessary new ingredients.
    >BV>They seem to distinguish life from non life. (You'll never
    >BV>find any of them in a computer.)

    WRE
    >There are a variety of researchers who would also disagree on
    >this statement. The volume, "Motivation, Emotion, and Goal
    >Direction in Artificial Neural Networks" (Levine and Leven,
    >editors) is available from Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, and
    >will serve well as a starting point for further research.

    Chris
    Bertvan holds the "glorified adding-machine" view of computers. I suppose
    this view is natural to someone who has not made a living for decades doing
    computer work (including nearly twenty years of programming and studying
    computers). They are deterministic, and they do function according to the
    instructions they are programmed with. But, then, so do neurons in the
    brain, except that the programming is in terms of the production and
    breakdown of chemical compounds, the fitting of neurotransmitters into
    receptors in synapses, and so on. Even if one believes, as I do not, that
    quantum physics is *truly* indeterministic rather than merely
    indeterministic relative to anything we know about, there is no need to
    invoke indeterminism to explain the complex functioning of the brain, or
    the phenomena of consciousness and mind.

    Thus, while investigation is slow because of the complexity of the brain
    and its operation, we *are* making progress on several fronts. I find
    Bertvan's persistent claims that everyone else is as ignorant on these
    topics as she is somewhat annoying. If she is as ignorant as she claims to
    be, how can she know how ignorant the rest of us are, especially when she
    has steadfastly refrained from bothering to keep up at even the Discover
    magazine level with what is going on in science generally? And, why, if she
    has time to come up with drivel-mongers like Schutzenberger (who devoted
    himself to catering to *just* such ignorance and the resulting gullibility)
    -- why doesn't she have time to purchase and read even Discover magazine,
    if not Scientific American?