Methods of quantifying affect

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Fri Dec 22 2000 - 17:09:38 EST

    To: welsberr@inia.cls.org (Wesley R. Elsberry)

    WRE>Research is being done to provide methods to quantify affect.
    WRE>One example that I know of is the research of W. Jackson Davis
    WRE>at the University of California, Santa Cruz, who has been
    WRE>working on quantifying affect in humans for some time now. By
    WRE>combining facial electromyography with standard subject slides
    WRE>used in psychology for self-report of affect, Davis has
    WRE>obtained good correlation between sub-threshold activation of
    WRE>facial musculature and self-report of affect. The pattern of
    WRE>activation indicates categories of affect (e.g., happy, sad,
    WRE>etc.) and the amplitude (or more precisely, the area within
    WRE>the envelope of the bursts) gives information on degree. In
    WRE>other words, Davis is able to both categorize and quantify
    WRE>affective states in humans via facial electromyography.

    WRE> correlation is a standard method of statistical inference.

    BV>Scientific measurements such as gravity and the speed of
    BV>light, are called laws of nature because of their
    BV>consistency.

    WRE>Davis' research shows consistency as well. The precision is
    WRE>not yet as high as modern techniques for measuring g or c, but
    WRE>probably compares favorably with the precision of early
    WRE>techniques used for each of those.

    Bertvan:
    Perhaps electromyography will be useful in the future. That hasn't yet
    happened.
    Any science with the precision of "a good correlation" can be an instrument
    for abuse of exceptions. Freudian psychologists, who called themselves
    scientists, believed they had a "good correlation" between a traumatic
    childhood and neurotic adults.

    Perhaps someone will eventually show that life can arise from accidental
    interaction of inert chemicals. That hasn't yet been demonstrated. Perhaps
    someone will eventually discover real evidence for sociobiology and
    evolutionary psychology. That hasn't happened yet. Perhaps someone will
    some day demonstrate that those mutations that might lead to increased
    biological complexity are random, accidental, devoid of design, plan or
    purpose. However so far, no one has even isolated an uncontroversial
    mutation that might lead to increased biological complexity, much less
    determine whether or not it was random.

    Freudian psychology didn't disappear because Freudians became disenchanted
    with it. The public became skeptical. Darwinists probably will never become
    skeptical of "chance and selection". Evidence for Intelligent design will
    probably never satisfy those now believing RM&NS explains nature's diversity.
      Intelligent design might someday be accepted as part of nature, and I agree
    that also hasn't yet happened. However, I object to the ridicule and abuse
    now heaped upon any scientist wishing to pursue such research. (See the
    newspaper account of Baylor.)

    BV>>All actors, and most of the rest of us, could fool
    BV>>electromyography (by an act of free will).

    WRE:
    >This is a statement made in ignorance of the technique in
    >use by Davis, which examines *sub-threshold* activity.

    Bertvan:
    As with other such "science", I await demonstration of its usefulness and
    validity. Most scientific research done at colleges is of doubtful value.
    Dissertations are done to acquire a degree, and most papers are written to
    acquire tenure. Useful research is done, mostly by industry, but I've heard
    scientists admit that most scientific papers produced by academia are
    trivial. (I don't include medical research in such an indictment, which is
    done for a specific purpose, and we've come to expect verification of medical
    research.)

    BV>Choice, free will, spontaneity, creativity, consciousness
    BV>and emotions were probably all necessary new ingredients.
    BV>They seem to distinguish life from non life. (You'll never
    BV>find any of them in a computer.)

    WRE
    >There are a variety of researchers who would also disagree on
    >this statement. The volume, "Motivation, Emotion, and Goal
    >Direction in Artificial Neural Networks" (Levine and Leven,
    >editors) is available from Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, and
    >will serve well as a starting point for further research.

    Bertvan:
    I am aware that some people working with computers attribute human abilities
    to these machines, such as love, free will, creativity and spontaneity. I
    would encourage anyone so inclined to vigorously pursue such research.
    However, along with abiogenesis and sociobiology, I'll await more convincing
    evidence. I wonder how the "god of the gaps" compares with those things
    accepted by scientists because "promising research" is being done on them?

    Bertvan
    http://members.aol.com/bertvan