Re: Can you find more errors (was Daniel's 70 weeks #6)

From: AutismUK@aol.com
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 10:53:25 EST

    In a message dated 17/12/00 23:25:57 GMT Standard Time, sejones@iinet.net.au
    writes:

    Well, notice you haven't answered anything AGAIN. It is a bit ridiculous
    to complain about *my* diversionary tactics.

    It is quite interesting to study your posts. Not because of the "fact";
    most of it is Bible quotes and apologists. What little there is of your
    own, that isn't just paraphrasing what your apologist says five lines
    away or assertions is "liberal atheistic evolutionists" stuff and ad
    hominem in itself.

    but one thing that's highly noticeable is when you can't cut and paste
    apologist arguments you shut up pretty quickly or resort to bog standard
    theist tactics of impugning my motives ("Oh, he only believes this because
    he's convinced miracles don't happen" occurs every few lines), or you
    just go round and round in circles. Your commentary on the TF is
    quite funny ; your use and rejection of the argument from silence is
    comical.

    Paul Robson.

    ----------------------

    Oh, here's another one :-

    "Given that hardly anything has survived from the 1st century, what
    extra-Biblical notice that was taken of Jesus is remarkable*, and is, if
    anything, *more* than I would have expected."

    How does this work with your "Why did no-one refute it at the time
    if it wasn't true" argument ?

    and that documents that refute Christianity weren't actually destroyed
    by Christians, but were much less likely to survive because Christians
    wouldn't copy them.

    and "No. See previous. This is just an argument from silence." which
    is your sole refutation to "why did no-one other than Matthew notice
    the dead bodies on the wander".

    ----------------------
    "Remarkable" is an exaggeration, considering you have actually *three*
    documents, even though your list dresses it up to look as if there
    were more. This sentence also contains a typical Jonesism, in that
    it's a win-win-win situation. One wonders, given that we have
    only three documents, what Jones would "expect".

    ----------------------
    Yet another false dichotomy:

    The point is that if Paul doesn't have any principled reason to disagree with
    Chris. Paul subjectively accepts some things in the NT and extra-Biblical
    evidence for the existence of Jesus, but subjectively rejects others. At
    least
    Chris is consistent and rejects the lot!

    ----------------------
    I have just noticed this absolute howler:
    >This passage was cited by Eusebius in its present form
    >(Ecclesiastical History 1.11) and the manuscript evidence favors it.

    This is referring to the ORIGINAL Josephus quote. I despair.

    The justification appears to be nonsensical

    "This actually defeats Paul's argument. If the claim is that because
    apologists
    before Eusebius never quoted from the Testimonium Flavianum (TF) it
    never existed, here we have apologists not quoting from it "for about
    another 50 years or so" even though it did exist!"

    [Jones hasn't sussed that they might not quote from it *until* the
     "Eusebius" version with all the Christian bits in became commonplace !]

    Then...
    >Yet AFAIK almost all scholars accept that the TF itself existed, but that
    the
    >more explitly Christian parts of it were a later Christian interpolation.

    Then...
    >A reasonable explanation is that the TF is genuine but Christian apologists
    >before Eusebius were reluctant to use it because of the obvious problem
    >that Josephus was thought not to be a Christian and it can be interpreted
    >sarcastically.

    An argument which speaks for itself really....

    Then...
    >Based on the fact that Josephus was born in Jerusalem in 37AD, only 4
    >years after Jesus had been executed, and lived there as a "precocious
    >youth" and later a Pharisee, he would have been in an *excellent* position
    >to produce evidence against Christianity's central claims about the life,
    >death and resurrection of Jesus, if there was any.

    [arguments from silence allowed now. Kettle logic again !]

    >That Josephus [who Jones claims became a Christian in later life] didn't
    >produce any such evidence is itself good evidence that Christianity's
    central
    >claims were rock-solid.

    But, of course, doesn't explain why Josephus wrote little else.

    Jones is going round and round in circles here.

    Here is the likely scenario.

    The TF probably contained, in its original form a reference to Jesus. The
    Church Fathers, who quoted Josephus a lot, didn't quote it because it
    was not helpful in their claims ; it probably supports the existence of
    Jesus as a teacher/preacher/healer but not a miracle worker, resurrected
    from the dead. Eusebius, the first person to use the TF about 300 years
    or so later, is considered a strong possibility for the insertion itself.
    Some
    years after that, the revised version became commnplace and apologists
    started referring to it.

    ----------------------

    "It is interesting that Paul accepts the real existence of a hypothetical
    source
    document called "Q" that: 1. "there is not one shred of documentary
    evidence that Q ever existed" -"No manuscript or any version of it has ever
    been found"; 2. "No church Father ever cited any work corresponding to
    what current scholars mean by Q"; and 3. for which "Former Q proponent
    Linnemann observes ... `This is the stuff of fairy tales'" (Linnemann, "Is
    There a Q?" 19)(Geisler N.L., "Baker Encyclopedia of Christian
    Apologetics," 1999, p.619)."

    You really ought to read what you post. The last one is pure assertion
    because he doesn't like the answer. I find this amusing, simply
    because in a previous post you referred to the "notes made by Peter
    which Mark used" and so on. Why not apply your standards to this ?

    Incidentally, does Giesler quote any of the arguments in favour of
    "Q". Would you like me to ?

    ----------------------
    >It is not that I *believe* "in a 6th C. Daniel". The *evidence* is in favour
    >of "a 6th C. Daniel".

    Of course, most scholars (non fundamentalists) don't agree with this
    either. Incidentally SEJ, how do you feel about using someone as
    a source who thinks God is not a religious concept ?

    >It is the anti-supernaturalistic sceptics (so-called) who are the true
    >believers!

    ????? Apparently the large number of Christian Daniel proponents
    (not 6BC) are anti supernaturalistic skeptics !