Re: Can you find more errors (was Daniel's 70 weeks #6)

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Sun Dec 17 2000 - 18:28:08 EST

    Reflectorites

    Paul doth protest too much, methinks!

    As I said, I will ignore Paul's ad hominem diversionary tactics and
    answer any remaining *issues* he has raised.

    Once again I thank Paul for responding to my posts and
    stimulating my research into Dan 9:24-27.

    Steve

    On Tue, 12 Dec 2000 19:12:40 EST, AutismUK@aol.com wrote:

    >Paul Robson:
    > >As a postscript, I have copied the same passage again and have noted all
    > >the errors, unsupported assertions, or dishonest argument tactics used in 9
    > >lines.
    > >
    > >So far I have 14 ; some of which are related to others.
    > >
    > >Anyone spot any more ?
    >
    >Steve Jones:
    > I must say I smiled at Paul's claim that *I* posted "unsupported
    > assertions".
    >
    >Paul Robson:
    > In 9 lines there are 14 unsupported assertions, use of debate tricks,
    > inconsistencies etc. I agree, this is funny, especially as I didn't
    > "select" this passage specifically.
    >
    >Steve Jones:
    > But I regard this as just another red-herring by Paul to divert attention
    > away from the fact that he posted little (if any) actual evidence for his
    > claims but mostly (if not totally) just made unsubstantiated assertions.
    >
    > So I will not respond to Paul's diversionary tactics but will continue
    > working through his *arguments* to see if there is anything new in them
    > and then respond to same.
    >
    >Paul Robson:
    > Well, I would have thought it was obvious to the most simple minded
    > half wit.
    >
    > Your alleged "arguments" contain so many errors, assertion, dishonest
    > debate tricks etc that they are impossible to respond to, without it
    > getting ridiculous.
    >
    > I found 14 assumptions and errors, which you cannot support but
    > simply assume as a fact.
    >
    > In this particular passage there is one huge error (the dichotomy) which,
    > as usual, you simply ignore.
    >
    > This is how I think you operate.
    >
    > You do not actually read the passage, or attempt to understand the
    > arguments. You simply look for "key words". You then refer to one
    > of your numerous apologetics texts, and simply copy and repeat
    > their arguments. You make no effort to check these arguments are
    > coherent or consistent.
    >
    > Despite your claim to be "answering" my arguments, I think you aren't
    > even READING them. You certainly aren't reading yours.
    >
    > Your use of the argument from silence is quite staggeringly dishonest.
    > But you probably don't grasp why. It is the same basic problem. The
    > function of your "arguments" (as with Daniel) is simply to get from A
    > to B. Once you have done this, you can use different arguments to
    > get from C to D. The minor detail that these are inconsistent does not
    > bother you.
    >
    > "Paul OTOH is working from the basic assumption that Jesus is not the
    > Messiah and supernatural predictive prophecy is impossible."
    >
    > It is nice to see this stupendously tedious Christian cliche dragged out
    > yet again.
    >
    > Paul is working from the assumption that apologists/creationists will
    > say any old crap in an attempt to convince the waverers and wobbly
    > Christians.

> [...]

    Stephen E. (Steve) Jones ,--_|\ Email: sejones@iinet.net.au
    3 Hawker Avenue / Oz \ Web: http://www.iinet.net.au/~sejones
    Warwick 6024 -> *_,--\_/ Phone: +61 8 9448 7439
    Perth, Western Australia v "Test everything." (1 Thess. 5:21)