Re: Religious Beliefs that *Require* the Falsehood of Scientific Theories (wa...

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Sun Dec 10 2000 - 11:44:05 EST

    >> Philosophical claims
    >> are of such fundamentality that they cannot come in conflict with
    >> genuine empirical fact and genuine scientific theory (this is one of
    >> the reasons why the indeterminism of the "Copenhagen
    >> Interpretation" of Quantum Mechanics is not scientific; it is *not*
    >> resolvable, even in principle, by empirical observation *except* by
    >> being empirically *falsified*).

    >DNAunion: The part about the Copenhagen Interpretation of quantum
    >mechanics seems wrong or incomplete to me.

    Chris
    Though I recommend that readers read the rest of DNAunion's post for
    context, I'm
    putting my response here to get to the chase quickly.

    As *always* in scientific experiments, there are assumptions involved in
    this experiment.
    Two alternate assumptions *seem* to be the only relevant ones in this case:
    Einstein's
    view that the relevant spins were determined at creation time, and Bohr's
    that they were
    determined at detection time.

    But: What if neither is true? I can think of at least two alternate
    assumptions. Or, what if
    one of the other many assumptions involved was wrong in some (possibly
    subtle) way?
    Further, note that, even if we accept the results of the experiment, it
    does not affect the
    determinism of the result. If the spin of one particle is determined at
    detection time, but
    *not* indeterministically, and if there *is* "spooky (instantaneous) action
    at a distance,"
    all of the math and all of the results would *still* be the same.

    The results of the experiment are fantastic, wonderful, exciting. But they
    don't invalidate
    determinism. My initial claim stands. It's not even logically possible for
    empirical
    evidence to invalidate indeterminism as such. It is only possible for it to
    invalidate
    *specific* claims of determinism (such as Einstein's, in this case), claims
    in which a
    specific causal relation is asserted. If that specific relationship does
    not hold, we may be
    able to show it empirically. For example, if I claimed that the way dice
    landed was
    determined completely by the positions of the planets (and gave a formula
    or other
    means of specifying the outcome of a throw of dice based on the positions
    of the
    planets), it would be easy to test whether this was true or not.

    But, if we determined that it was not true, we would not be justified in
    saying that the dice
    behaved in a truly indeterministic way; there might be *other* causal
    factors at work that
    determine the way the dice land.

    The Bell experiments show, maximally, that the determination of spin in one
    particle
    forces the spin state of the other, but it does not show us *how* that
    initial determination
    of spin occurs, other than that it (seems) to occur at the time of
    detection, and (probably)
    not at creation time. What if the spin of both particles is determined
    *before* they are
    "created"? What if, at detection time, there is a strictly deterministic
    process by which
    the spin of the particle is "set" at that time?

    --Chris