Re: Vague appeals to OST Parts 1-6

From: AutismUK@aol.com
Date: Sat Nov 25 2000 - 04:25:41 EST

    In a message dated 25/11/00 07:57:29 GMT Standard Time, DNAunion writes:

    Paul Robson:
    I'm confused by the "private email" stuff. I've checked my "sent
    mail" and I can find two private posts : one is a two line note
    about something, one might be an error, I'm not sure.
    Everything else has been addressed to evolution@calvin.edu

    DNAUnion:
    As usual, the "evolutionist" counter argument stopped at open-system
    thermodynamics and never bothered to mention the other required half of the
    solution.

    Paul Robson:
    That's because the topic under discussion is thermodynamics.
    "Evolution violates thermodynamics" "No it doesn't because..."

    DNAUnion:
    At no point in its 3.5 billion year history here on Earth did life
    evolve solely because the Earth is an open system.

    Paul Robson:
    True. Chemical reactions are involved, however. The "open system"
    stops it violating the oft-quoted corollary of 2LT.

    Paul Robson:
    Well, DNAUnion, that might be because it is directly
    connected with the statement that the SLOT is violated "because
    everything decays always", This argument is found in much YEC
    literature. This isn't a valid criticism. If you are told "Evolution
    violates
    the SLOT because of the tendency of everything to decay" for example,
    you can merely answer "no it doesn't because it is not a closed system".

    DNAunion:
    But what if the argument includes the question of how the second half
    of the solution came to be (in order to provide more than a partial
    explanation)?

    Paul Robson:
    Which argument ? I think all your "vague appeals" are just rebuttals
    of the Creationist 2LT claim. There are many more than six articles
    of this form.

    DNAUnion:
    I admit that the response I quoted does not pertain to this, but
    that is the question that SEJones and I were asking about. "We"
    are told that the Earth is an open system - that's it. That does
    not answer the question of how the first cell came to be - a
    sufficient energy source is not sufficient in itself to evolve a cell
    from scratch.

    Paul Robson:
    I agree. But these posts aren't about that. They are a refutation
    of claims pertaining to the SLOT. It's a different topic of
    conversation.

    Asking about the mechanisms of evolution is a perfectly valid
    question, but it isn't part of the rebuttal of the thermodynamics
    claim.

    No-one is saying that OST is sufficient for evolution, just that
    SLOT is not violated by evolution.

    DNAUnion:
    "Okay", one might might say, "but that pertains exclusively
    to the origin of life, and not evolution".

    Paul Robson:
    I don't think that's it. The issue is thermodynamics, and the
    creationists misuse of it. I know you don't, but the claim that
    "evolution violates 2LT" comes up endlessly. These articles
    are pointing out misuse of thermodynamics.

    Creationism (not ID) consists of 2 things: Biblical quotes, and
    piles of anti-evolution arguments, Evolutionists point out the
    flaws in these arguments. There are also articles on (say)
    how a replicator might form, but these are invariably seperate
    from rebuttals of creationist nonsense.

    DNAUnion:
    I think not - I think this also pertains to the big picture of evolution.
    Life can evolve using available energy *only because it already
    possesses those "coupling mechanisms"*, so there still remains
    a basic question of how life can evolve: HOW DID IT FIRST
    BECOME ABLE TO EVOLVE? Answering that an airplane
    does not violate gravity when it flies is not an answer as to how
    an airplane flies.

    Paul Robson:
    I agree. But the question stated is not "How did it first become
    able to evolve ?". It is "How do you account for the fact that
    evolution violates the second law of thermodynamics ?"

    A lot depends on what you mean by "evolve" here ? The
    mechanism of "evolution" of replicators is different to that of
    the evolution of animals.

    Part 3
     =====

    DNAunion:
    As others have done, the author switches away from talking about
    thermodynamics as it applies to biology to focussing on ONLY
    thermodynamics. So what? What is wrong with this? Simple,
    but I will need to use an analogy. ...

    Paul Robson: That's because the Creationist has made a statement
    about thermodynamics and the "Evolutionist" is explaining why that
    statement is not true.

    DNAunion:
    The "Creationist" has made a statement about thermodynamics
    *as it applies to evolution*, and evolution deals with life. So we
    are back to discussing more than mere thermodynamics, but
    the evolutionist response only addresses thermo, neglecting biology.

    Paul Robson:
    It's pointing out the invalid use of thermodynamics, so that the
    creationist argument is falsified. He could be talking about
    anything at all but the thermodynamics part is still wrong.

    The statement is about thermodynamics. It states that evolution
    is falsified because it violates its laws. It is pointed out that this
    is not the case. It is perfectly valid to ask as a next question
    "By what means does this take place" but it isn't part of the
    answer to the thermodynamics question.

    Paul Robson: Conclusion
     ========
    Don't see the problem. All these are the same

     Creationist: "Evolution violates SLOT because everything decays"
     Evolutionist:"No it doesn't because that only applies to closed systems"

     It's a rebuttal ; not a complete history of evolution.

    DNAunion:
     Are you *sure* that "all these are the *SAME*"? Or are some of them
     just similar forms of the same basic argument?

    Paul Robson:
     Yes, that's much more accurate ; they are similar forms of the same
     basic argument. There are variations ; such as the "only applies to
     closed systems" error, the most common one I've seen.

     It would be even better to say that the function of each argument is
     the same (I think) namely that it is a rebuttal of a creationist claim
     about thermodynamics.