Re: Politeness

From: AutismUK@aol.com
Date: Fri Nov 24 2000 - 12:31:47 EST

    DNAunion: As stated in my last post, this is in reply to Paul's two public
     challenges to me to respond to his private e-mail. But actually, this is
     part 1 of 2.

    Paul Robson: You have to have pretty low levels of literacy to think I
     "rely solely on OST to organise functioning cells" from this statement. I
     don't even mention cells at all.

    DNAunion: So where did I say that you had to mention cells?

    Paul Robson:
     "those who rely SOLELY on vague appeals to open-system thermodynamics
     to explain the ordering and organizing of simple organics into a functioning
     cell" (my emphasis) "

     You said this argument occurred FREQUENTLY.

    Paul Robson: [when you said] "those who rely SOLELY on vague appeals to
     open-system thermodynamics to explain the ordering and organizing of simple
     organics into a functioning cell" (my emphasis) "

     You said this argument occurred FREQUENTLY.

    Paul Robson:
     Repetitive isn't it.

    DNAunion:
     Yes (on the internet, not here)

    Paul Robson:
     I'll have to check that's what you said.

    DNAUnion:
    , but I did *NOT* say that you made that exact argument. So I didn't say YOU
     had to mention cells. You didn't mention them, yet you were still putting
    forth
     the same BASIC form of logical argument.

    Paul Robson:
     This is balderdash. If you want to argue "those who rely to some extent on
     vague appeals to something to order and organise something" then why
     bother at all.

     Why did you only start wittering on about forms AFTER you said these
     arguments appear frequently (anywhere) ?

    DNAUnion:
     I did NOT say you yourself put forth EXACTLY this argument;
     you yourself put forth *A FORM OF* this argument The basic nature and
     structure of the argument is the same in my original and in your form of it:

    Paul Robson:
     Is it ? So it mentions "functioning cells" and "solely" then ?

    Paul Robson: [claim that I am copping out]

    DNAunion:
     "Creationists/IDists argue that [a biological process that
     involves large increases in order] cannot occur by purely-natural processes
     because that would require the violation of the 2nd law, but open-system
     thermodynamics alone shows them to be wrong". This is the basic pattern, or
     template, of the argument: one just needs to fill in the single variable:
    and
     regular; biological evolution and the evolution of the first biological
    cells
     are closely related (we aint talkin' bout no cars hear [as you were]). Both
     my original, and yours that I mentioned was similar, are arguments of the
     same logical *FORM*. They are not identical, and I made it clear (to
    someone
     who can read!) that I was not stating they were.

    Paul Robson:
     Yeah. I can really see the vast similarities between this and

     "those who rely SOLELY on vague appeals to open-system thermodynamics
     to explain the ordering and organizing of simple organics into a functioning
     cell" (my emphasis) "

    Paul Robson:
     What a load of old codswallop.

    DNAunion:
     Nope. Just the facts. Sorry if you don't like them.

    Paul Robson:
     Nope. It's a load of codswallop.

     You've switch the argument completely. It's gone from using OST to explain
     things to how something isn't a problem in OST.

     You know you are talking out of your backside. What you are ACTUALLY
     trying to do here is to refine what you said because you can't defend it. You
     want to argue something like "that vague appeals to OST are used to
     get to the first replicator".

     Unfortunately you can't. You wrote something, and you said it appeared
     frequently (anywhere you like). You can't defend it, so you try and pretend
     you didn't mean it, or it meant something else.

    Paul Robson: You claim

     "those who rely SOLELY on vague appeals to open-system thermodynamics to
     explain the ordering and organizing of simple organics into a functioning
     cell" (my emphasis) "

     and you really think this is a FORM of the argument ? Why, because it
     mentions OST a bit ? What happened to "solely" ? or "cells" ?

    DNAunion:
     No, the similarities go deeper.

     (1) It mentions OST.
     (2) It mentions only OST as an explanatory mechanism.

    Paul Robson:
     Well so what ? Chris Cogan didn't say that *only* OST caused it. I mean
    presumably
     chemical reactions occur as well. As for my "form", that doesn't use OST as
    an
     explanatory mechanism at all.

    DNAUnion:
    (3) It claims to show that the 2nd law is not an obstacle.

    Paul Robson:
    Not being an obstacle is not an explanation

    DNAUnion:
    (4) It is an argument against a Creationist position (according to many
    anti-IDists,
    IDists are creationists too).

    Paul Robson:
    Most of them are ; in the sense that they believe in a creator, not in the YEC
    sense necessarily.

    DNAUnion:
    (5) Both deal with large increases in order.
    (5) Both deal with large increase in organization.

    Paul Robson:
    Large and exceedingly large. You can't compare simple replicators and cells
    in
    complexity. My "form" doesn't do this either. All it says is it doesn't
    violate 2LT.

    DNAUnion:
    (6) Both deal with biological entities.

    Paul Robson:
    Meaning what ? A simple replicator is a "biological entity" then. And so is a
    Zebra.

    DNAUnion:
    (7) Both deal with controversial changes to biological entities.

    Paul Robson:
    Hmm... don't see what's so controversial about the creation of the first
    replicator.

    DNAUnion:
     Okay, perhaps the problem is that you are not looking at these in argument
     form. Let's phrase them as actual arguments (using loose terms).

    Paul Robson:
     Oh, I know precisely what you are up to. You're trying to pretend you meant
     something you think you might be able to defend because you can't
     defend what you wrote. I mean this stuff below is very interesting but
     totally irrelevant to your claim.

    DNAUnion:
     Creationist/ID argument 1
     Premise 1: The 2nd law states that disorder tends to increase, not decrease
     Premise 2: Evolution requires a large increase in order
     Conclusion: Therefore, evolution "violates" the 2nd law

     Evolutionist counter argument 1
     Premise 1: Local decreases in disorder can occur in open systems
     Premise 2: The Earth and entities - cells - that evolve are open systems,
     receiving energy from the Sun
     Conclusion: Therefore, Creationists/IDists are wrong - evolution does not
     violate the 2nd law

    Paul Robson:
     Yes.

     Go on, explain how this claim is really anything like

     "those who rely SOLELY on vague appeals to open-system thermodynamics
     to explain the ordering and organizing of simple organics into a functioning
     cell" (my emphasis) "

    DNAUnion:
     Creationist/ID argument 2
     Premise 1: The 2nd law states that disorder tends to increase, not decrease
     Premise 2: The evolution of the first cell required a large increase in order
     Conclusion: Therefore, the evolution of the first cell "violated" the 2nd
    law

     Evolutionist counter argument 2
     Premise 1: Local decreases in disorder can occur in open systems
     Premise 2: Earth and entities that evolved into cells are open systems,
     receiving energy from the Sun
     Conclusion: Therefore, Creationists/IDists are wrong - the evolution of the
     first cell does not violate the 2nd law

     These are basically logical arguments of the same form. The similarities
    are
     numerous, and the single basic difference (evolution in general vs evolution
     of the first cell) is slight.

    Paul Robson:
     ROFL !

     You really don't get it, do you

     "those who rely SOLELY on vague appeals to open-system thermodynamics
     to explain the ordering and organizing of simple organics into a functioning
     cell" (my emphasis) "

     That's what you are trying to show ! Have you forgotten ?

     Go on, I agree your two arguments above are much the same. They just
     don't bear any resemblance to the argument you claim which is.

     "those who rely SOLELY on vague appeals to open-system thermodynamics
     to explain the ordering and organizing of simple organics into a functioning
     cell" (my emphasis) "

     I'm going to keep repeating it ; you seem to forget about it easily.