Re: we have witnessed no new species emerge in the wild? (was Schutzenberger)

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Thu Nov 16 2000 - 20:16:05 EST

    Reflectorites

    On Tue, 31 Oct 2000 14:04:27 -0600, Chris Cogan wrote:

    [...]

    >SJ>I actually *have* the book in front of me and Chris can't even find his
    >>copy, yet Chris just *asserts* I have "blindly quoted" it, because he doesn't
    >>agree with it!
    >>
    >>Maybe when Chris does locate his copy he can read it and get back with
    >>*evidence* that I have "blindly quoted" it?

    CC>I meant that you blindly quoted it without checking to see if the passage
    >you quoted was in fact *true*.

    As I pointed out to Chris, it seems that what Kelly said *was* true, about:
    "Despite a close watch, we have WITNESSED no new species emerge in the wild
    in recorded history." (Kelly K., "Out of Control," 1995, p.475. My emphasis)

    On Sun, 29 Oct 2000 14:51:22 +0800, Stephen E. Jones wrote:

    >Maybe when Chris does locate his copy he can read it and get back with
    >*evidence* that I have "blindly quoted" it?
    >
    >But if it was about Kelly's statement that"
    >
    >"Despite a close watch, we have witnessed no new species emerge in the wild in
    >recorded history." (Kelly K., "Out of Control," 1995, p475)
    >
    >and the emphasis is on "observed", then this was in fact the case:
    >
    >http://www.nytimes.com/2000/10/24/science/24SPEC.html The New York Times
    >October 24, 2000 Scientists' Hopes Raised for a Front-Row Seat to Evolution By
    >CAROL KAESUK YOON .... For more than a century, scientists have assumed
    >that it was all but impossible to witness the evolution of a new species in nature, a
    >process thought to be too long and drawn out to be captured in the lifetime of any
    >human researcher." [...]

    CC>Since several instances of speciation have
    >been recorded (and a few have been discussed on this list), it's simply
    >empirically false.

    Chris should read carefully what Kelly said: "Despite a close watch, we
    have WITNESSED no new species emerge in the wild...." (my emphasis).

    That new species have been "recorded" is not the same as having been
    witnessed.

    "The problem was, as so often, that adaptive explanations were just too
    powerful. They could explain anything. If they are, in Daniel Dennett's
    phrase, 'a universal acid', capable of eating through everything, they will
    eventually consume even the subjects we want them to illuminate. It's not
    much use having a magic substance that will unblock your intellectual
    drains if it eats out the bottom of the sink as well." (Brown A., "The
    Darwin Wars: How Stupid Genes Became Selfish Gods," Simon & Schuster:
    London, 1999, p.119)
    Stephen E. Jones | Ph. +61 8 9448 7439 | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sejones