Last 1 on attributing to wrong people?

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Thu Nov 16 2000 - 22:15:45 EST

    DNAunion: I have only a few points I would like to make in reply to David
    Bowman's last post about Richard and me and Creationists.

    >>>David Bowman: He [Richard Wein] seemed to put words into DNA's mouth.

    ******************************
    DNAunion: I think Richard is innocent - *even if I have already accused
    Richard of the same thing*.

    Yes, he did say to the effect, "DNAunion says...." and then show those
    statements to be wrong, but that does not qualify as of "stuffing", in my
    mind.

    In my opinion, the act of "stuffing words into someone else's mouth" carries
    with it *intent*, for example, with the *purpose* of then knocking down that
    claim to discredit the opponent. I don't believe this is what Richard did.

    I think Richard *honestly believed* that the person who discussed
    "energy-conversion" mechamisms did think they were stating the mechanisms
    converted energy into reduced entropy (and further, that he *honestly
    believed* that person to have been me). He made an honest mistake, which he
    unfortunately then used for the basis of other statements, several of which
    were made before I saw that the error had been propagated through 4 or 5
    posts.

    But my point here is, No bad intent = no foul. I believe this now even
    though I may have expressed differently earlier (I can't remember if I
    actually posted it here - I know I thought it). I got upset and overreacted,
    which caused more of a stir than the act deserved. I hope we can all put
    this behind us and move on.
    *********************************

    [...]

    >>>David Bowman: The *only* reason I even entered the discussion in the
    first place was that DNA had claimed, in response to Chris' claim
    (paraphrased here by memory) that matter doesn't have any intrinsic
    properties preventing it from organizing itself in complicated ways via
    normal natural processes, that, indeed, according to DNA, there *was*
    something preventing matter from organizing, and that something was entropy.
    I objected (and still object) to this counterclaim that somehow entropy
    intrinsically prevents matter from organizing.

    DNAunion: I realize you are paraphrasing off the top of your head, so I am
    not faulting you here. But I would to just clarify that I was not stating
    that entropy PREVENTS matter from becoming ORDERED - my point was that since
    entropy does TEND to inrease, then matter has a TENDENCY towards greater
    DISORDER, but this tendency can be OVERCOME.

    PS: I purposedly avoided the word ORGANIZE in the above because I am not
    sure just how organized of a state natural processes can create. Remember,
    organized implies multiple, interdependent components, each serving a
    function, and operating together as a whole. This is more than mere order.
    *************************

    >>>David Bowman: From further discussions with DNA I have learned that he
    sees the situation as there being intrinsic default "tendencies" that matter
    has, and one of these intrinsic "tendencies" is to "tend" toward
    disorder/disorganization. Since DNA allows for these "tendencies" to be
    "overcome" under an appropriate set of circumstances, so that the matter
    properly obeys the laws of nature describing the matter's behavior under the
    actual circumstances present, it doesn't make any practical difference as to
    how matter ends up behaving in the end. If the behavior in a given
    circumstance is opposed to the tendency, then the circumstances have merely
    overcome that tendency. If the behavior is not opposed to the tendency, then
    the tendency is not overcome. This view of the situation is effectively that
    things tend to follow their tendencies--except when they don't because of the
    particular circumstances present. So even though I think this view is a
    conceptual violation of Ockham's razor, it has no observational consequences
    that can make any difference in the actual scientific description of the
    behavior of the system, and therefore is mostly a matter of conceptual
    esthetics. It's just that I doubt that Chris had thought of (& I know I
    didn't think of) the possibility of such a conceptual picture of the physical
    situation when he made his comment about there not being any anything in
    nature that prevents matter from oranizing itself in complicated ways.

    Since my purpose was not to carefully attribute the source of any extant
    concept in Richard's post, but rather to just deal with the concepts therein
    no matter *what* the source, I did not try to check up on Richard's
    attribution of the phrasing about an "energy conversion mechanism" to
    DNAunion.

    >>>DNAunion: Just a reminder that I did not fault David at all for this,
    just Richard. And I have since stated that I can easily understand how
    Richard could have made the mistake honestly (I myself did the same thing at
    least once at this board - as an honest mistake).

    As I said above, I think all of us should put this insignificant discrepancy
    behind us and move on. No one got "hurt" - all understand the lack of intent.