Re: ID and Creationism

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 20:49:34 EST

    Reflectorites

    On Mon, 30 Oct 2000 21:18:44 -0600, Susan Brassfield Cogan wrote:

    >SJ>I am trying to wind down this thread too. This will be my last post on
    >>it unless Susan comes up with anything new.

    SB>In that case I'll trim my replies to just a few things.

    Susan has raised some things that I feel I have to answer!

    [...]

    SB>An entity that would condemn someone to eternal torture

    The Bible in the original doesn't use the word "torture" of unbelievers. The
    word for "torture" [Gk. tumpanizo - to stretch on an instrument of torture
    resembling a drum, and thus beat to death:--torture] only appears in the
    Bible in Heb 11:35 where it is *believers* who have been tortured by
    unbelievers!

    The NIV translation of the Bible does translate another word as "torture"
    but only once of unbelievers and that is in a parable (Mt 8:29), and is
    IMHO a mistranslation. That word is Gk. basanizo which can mean
    "torture" but primarily means "torment".

    The difference between the two words is that torture is inflicted by others
    but torment can be self-inflicted. At least that is the meaning of torment in
    hell:

            "Nowhere does the Bible describe it as a "torture chamber" where
            people are forced against their will to be tortured. This is a
            caricature created by unbelievers to justify their reaction that the
            God who sends people to hell is cruel. This does not mean that hell
            is not a place of torment. Jesus said it was (Luke 16:24). But unlike
            torture which is inflicted from without against one's will torment is
            self-inflicted. Even atheists (see SARTRE; ATHEISM) have
            suggested that the door of hell is locked from the inside. We are
            condemned to our own freedom from God. Heaven's presence of
            the divine would be the torture to one who has irretrievably
            rejected him Torment is living with the consequences of' our own
            bad choices. It is the weeping and gnashing of teeth that results
            from the realization that we blew it and deserve the consequences.
            Just as a football player may pound on the ground in agony after
            missing a play that loses the Super Bowl, so those in hell know that
            the pain they suffer is self- induced." (Geisler N.L., "Baker
            Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics," 1999, p.312)

    SB>for mere unbelief

    The point is that "unbelief" is not "mere" from God's perspective:

            "UNBELIEF. Expressed by two Greek words in the New
            Testament, apistia and apeitheia. According to MM [Moulton &
            Milligan], the word apeitheia, together with apeitheo and apeithes,
            'connotes invariably disobedience, rebellion, contumacy'. so Paul
            says that the Gentiles have obtained mercy through the rebellion of
            the Jews (Rom. xi. 30). See also Rom. xi. 32; Heb. iv. 6, 11. This
            disobedience springs from apistia, 'a want of faith and trust'. Apistia
            is a state of mind, and apeitheia an expression of it. Unbelief
            towards Himself was the prime sin of which Christ said that the
            Spirit would convict the world (Jn. xvi. 9). Unbelief in all its forms
            is a direct affront to the divine veracity (cf. 1 Jn. v. 10), which is
            why it is so heinous a sin. The children of Israel did not enter into
            God's rest for two reasons. They lacked faith (apistia, Heb. iii. 19),
            and they disobeyed (apeitheia, Heb. iv. 6). 'Unbelief finds its
            practical issue in disobedience' (Westcott on Heb. iii. 12). (Swann
            D.O., "Unbelief," in Douglas J.D., et al., eds., "The New Bible
            Dictionary," 1967, p.1304)

    SB>isn't worth worship.

    Susan's faulty assumption here is that God has a choice not to punish
    unbelievers eternally:

            "The fact that hell, as often understood, seems to be incompatible
            with God's love, as revealed in Scripture, may be an indication that
            we have misunderstood hell. We should note, first, that whenever
            we sin, an infinite factor is invariably involved. All sin is an offense
            against God, the raising of a finite will against the will of an infinite
            being. It is failure to carry out one's obligation to him to whom
            everything is due. Consequently, one cannot consider sin to be
            merely a finite act deserving finite punishment. Further, if God is to
            accomplish his goals in this world, he may not have been free to
            make man unsusceptible to endless punishment. God's omnipotence
            does not mean that he is capable of every conceivable action. He is
            not capable of doing the logically contradictory or absurd, for
            example. He cannot make a triangle with four corners. And it may
            well be that those creatures that God intended to live forever in
            fellowship with him had to be fashioned in such a way that they
            would experience eternal anguish if they chose to live apart from
            their Maker." (Erickson M.J., "Christian Theology," 1988, p.1239)

    In the end, Hell is just God leaving unbelievers in the state that they are
    now in and want, i.e. to be left alone by God:

            "We should also observe that God does not send anyone to hell. He
            desires that none should perish (2 Peter 3:9). God created man to
            have fellowship with him and provided the means by which man can
            have that fellowship. It is man's choice to experience the agony of
            hell. His sin sends him there, and his rejection of the benefits of
            Christ's death prevents his escaping. As C.S. Lewis has put it, sin is
            man's saying to God throughout life, "Go away and leave me
            alone." Hell is God's finally saying to man, "You may have your
            wish." It is God's leaving man to himself, as man has chosen. "
            (Erickson M.J., 1988, p.1240)

    So in a sense unbelievers *already are* in Hell and the "torture" of Hell is
    *self*-inflicted:

            "The principle here seems to be, the greater our knowledge, the
            greater is our responsibility, and the greater will be our punishment
            if we fail in our responsibility It may well be that the different
            degrees of punishment in hell are not so much a matter of objective
            circumstances as of subjective awareness of the pain of separation
            from God. .... To some extent, the different degrees of punishment
            reflect the fact that hell is God's leaving sinful man with the
            particular character that he fashioned for himself in this life. The
            misery one will experience from having to live with one's wicked
            self eternally will be proportionate to his degree of awareness of
            precisely what he was doing when he chose evil." (Erickson M.J.,
            1988, p.1240).

    But there is no need for any unbeliever to remain in Hell (now and in the
    future). God has, at great cost to Himself, made it possible for man to avoid
    Hell (now and in the future) and experience Heaven (now and in the future)
    by simply believing in His Son, Jesus Christ:

            "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,
            that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
            For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world,
            but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not
            condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned
            already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and
            only Son." (John 3:16-18)

    If any unbeliever wants to know how they can become a Christian, please
    email me privately.

    Note that this invitation is only for those who want to become Christians,
    not for those who want to have a private debate about becoming a Christian.
    If anyone wants to debate becoming a Christian they can do that publicly.

    >>SB> afraid it
    >>>would take a similar level of evidence for me to admit the same thing.

    >SJ>The problem is not "evidence" but *attitude* to the "evidence". As Pascal
    >>pointed out there is enough evidence for those who are willing to accept it,
    >>but not enough evidence to force those who are unwilling to accept it:

    SB>Isn't he the guy who recommended lying about belief in God just to appease
    >God just in case he existed so you wouldn't go to hell?

    I am not aware of it, but if he did, he would be wrong on that point.

    Perhaps Susan can post where exactly it is that Pascal "recommended lying
    about belief in God just to appease God"?

    SB>And it would work,
    >too, except you would be a life-long liar--lying to an omniscient being, no
    >less, who has habit of burning people in Hell forever for lying.

    Agreed it wouldn't work. The Bible says that God knows our innermost
    thoughts, so lying wouldn't fool Him. That is why I doubt that Pascal
    said that.

    >SJ>"There is enough light to enlighten the elect and enough obscurity to
    >>humiliate them. There is enough obscurity to blind the reprobate
    >>and enough light to condemn them and deprive them of excuse."
    >>(Pascal B., "Pensees," 1966, p.73)

    SB>exactly the same thing could be said about Hinduism or any of the other
    >hundreds of human religions. All of them have "evidence" that the Sky
    >Lizard really, truly (no *really*) exists.

    Well Susan clearly agrees with me that in the case of "Hinduism or any of
    the other hundreds of human religions" that they are based on *false*
    "evidence" otherwise she would believe one of them! So the only thing we
    need to concern ourselves with is what we both disagree on, namely the
    "evidence" for *Christianity*.

    >>SB>Darwinism:
    >>>The evidence supporting it is overwhelming. I'll probably believe it
    >>>until the Theory of Gravity is proved untrue and things start
    >>>floating up off the ground.

    >SJ>Even some biologists don't find "The evidence supporting it is
    >>overwhelming":
    >>
    >>"...From within biology the doubts have come from
    >>scientists in half a dozen separate fields. Many palaeontologists are
    >>unconvinced by the supposed gradualness of Darwinian evolution;
    >>they feel that the evidence points to abrupt change-or else to no
    >>change at all. Some geneticists question Darwin's explanation for
    >>the 'origin of species', feeling that natural selection may have
    >>virtually nothing to do with the events that lead to the appearance
    >>of new species. Among other scientists, for example among
    >>immunologists, embryologists and taxonomists, the same feeling
    >>seems to be growing: there is a lot more to evolution than Charles
    >>Darwin envisaged, and even the modern synthesis of evolutionary
    >>ideas-called neo- Darwinism-seems inadequate in many respects."
    >>(Leith B., "The Descent of Darwin..." 1982, p.10)

    SB>Interesting. I did searches with several search engines and found literally
    >*dozens* of pages of creationist sites stuffed with the usual out of
    >context quotes including this one, but no hint of who this guy is. From
    >Amazon.com I got his first name ("B." is all the creationists ever used).

    Here is what it says about him:

            "Brian Leith is a producer in the Natural History Unit of the BBC in
            Bristol. A biology graduate of the University of London, he served
            his evolutionary 'apprenticeship' studying variation in the banded
            snail, Cepaea, in its European population. He has produced several
            documentary programmes for BBC Radios 3 and 4, featuring the
            current debates about evolutionary theory, and has an undying
            admiration for Darwin, if not for some of his disciples." (Leith B.,
            "The Descent of Darwin: A Handbook of Doubts about
            Darwinism," Collins: London, 1982, rear inside cover)

    SB>Stephen's quote is the longest I could find but every one starts at exactly
    >the same point and is attributed in exactly the same way. Since Stephen
    >always reads at least portions of the books he quotes,

    I am pleased that Susan finally admits that these are my own quotes from
    books I have read, and not from one of those mythical quotes sites she is
    always talking about but never providing their URLs!

    And, as I have stated before, I do not claim to have read from cover to
    cover every book I quote from. But in the case of Leith's book I have read
    it from beginning to end.

    SB>I'd like for Stephen
    >to provide us with a few paragraphs above the one presented and a few
    >paragraphs below and the title of the Chapter.

    Why? Does Susan after all doubt that I own the book? Or does she have a quote
    that is does start before my quote? Whatever, Susan's wish is my command! Here
    is the entire Chapter up to the words quoted:

            "Introduction

            No scientific theory arouses so much interest among the non-scientists as
            Darwinism. This is hardly surprising; Charles Darwin's simple proposal-that
            life has evolved through time by means of natural selection-is bound to
            influence a great deal of our day-to-day life. Darwin's theory purports to
            explain a staggeringly large part of the world about us: from the delicate
            balance of a tropical rain forest, to medical questions about the origins of
            disease, to the motivation behind the intricate behaviour patterns of man.
            Darwinism is not only an ambitious theory of organic nature-it is virtually a
            philosophy of life in itself. What is more, the philosophy implied by
            Darwinism, that life may have no 'purpose' in the traditional religious sense,
            and that life is ultimately a random process, is certain to provoke attention
            or even hostility among the non-biologists.

            In this way Darwinism is unique among scientific theories. Because it
            attempts to explain not only events in the outside world but also man's
            origins and his place in those events, Darwinism straddles the gap between
            philosophy and science, between faith and reason, in a way no other
            scientific theory does. If we were to discover tomorrow that Copernicus
            was wrong, that the sun actually does go round the earth rather than the
            reverse, what would happen? Obviously the physicists and astronomers
            would have headaches trying to reconcile the discovery with their other
            observations, but would it change your life or mined Would we think of
            ourselves, or the purpose in our lives, in a different way? Probably not.

            Not so with Darwinism. If we were suddenly to discover that life had not
            evolved after all, or that it had evolved in a fundamentally non-Darwinian
            way, the effect on our lives would be tangible. Not only would the
            biologists have to rethink their observations of nature, but theologians,
            philosophers and probably even politicians would be forced to look afresh
            at man's place in nature. In the one hundred and twenty years or so since
            the publication of The Origin of Species Darwinian principles have seeped
            into every corner of our 'world-view'. Why does a baby cry? To ensure its
            survival. Are all men born equal? No, some are fitter and more competitive
            than others. Why is there such a thing as altruism so that the altruist may
            ultimately be the benefactor. Like it or not, many of the central issues of
            Darwinism are also the central issues of our culture and politics: over-
            population, the struggle for existence, the sensible use of resources, and so
            on. A theory about man's origins is bound to entail more than
            straightforward science.

            (Leith B., "The Descent of Darwin: A Handbook of Doubts about
            Darwinism," Collins: London, 1982, pp.9-10)

    >>SB>Christianity:
    >>>Christian morality with its Middle Eastern emphasis on blame/shame
    >>>and its neurotic dualism will probably always turn me off.

    >SJ>Is Susan suggesting that feeling "blame" and "shame" is not *real*? There
    >>is a name for those who feel no "blame" or "shame" - psychopaths.

    SB>And people who feel illegitimate shame and who must fix blame at all costs
    >are . . . neurotic.

    Agreed.

    SB>It would be just as easy to teach that morality flows
    >from compassion (which it does) and that people naturally wish to be good
    >(which they do)

    Disagree that "people naturally wish to be good." It is *hard* for people to
    be "good". That's why there have to be laws to force people to be good.

    SB>than to use shame and blame as a way to force morality.

    No Christian minister that I have ever encountered in 30+ years of being a
    Christian in a variety of evangelical churches, uses "shame and blame as a
    way to force morality". In my experience, ministers are sensitive that
    people already have a deep sense of "shame and blame" because they have
    not lived up to their own standards of "morality". Such ministers are
    therefore careful not to make people feel more guilty because guilt itself
    does not help them.

    What does help people the Bible's message that God loves them and
    accepts them as they are, but commands them to "sin no more" (Jn 8:11).

    >SJ>The democracy that Susan enjoys in America owes itself to the
    >>congregational democracy of its founding *Christian* Pilgrim Fathers.
    >
    >about 60% of them were Deists, not Christians (have you ever heard of the
    >Jefferson Bible?).

    Susan needs to learn her US history! :-) She seems to be getting mixed up
    with the "Pilgrim Fathers" and the "Founding Fathers". The "Pilgrim
    Fathers" were in the early 17th century:

    http://www.britannica.com/bcom/eb/article/3/0,5716,61533+1+60020,00.html

    ENCYCLOPAEDIA BRITANNICA

    Pilgrim Fathers

    in American colonial history, settlers of Plymouth , Mass., the first
    permanent colony in New England (1620). Of the 102 colonists, 35 were
    members of the English Separatist Church (a radical faction of Puritanism)
    who had earlier fled to Leiden, the Netherlands, to escape persecution at
    home. Seeking a more abundant life along with religious freedom, the
    Separatists negotiated with a London stock company to finance a
    pilgrimage to America. Approximately two-thirds of those making the trip
    aboard the Mayflower were non-Separatists, hired to protect the company's
    interests; these included John Alden and Myles Standish.

    These first settlers, initially referred to as the Old Comers and later as the
    Forefathers, did not become known as the Pilgrim Fathers until two
    centuries after their arrival. A responsive chord was struck with the
    discovery of a manuscript of Gov. William Bradford referring to the
    "saints" who had left Holland as "pilgrimes." At a commemorative
    bicentennial celebration in 1820, orator Daniel Webster used the phrase
    Pilgrim Fathers, and the term became common usage thereafter.

    whereas Thomas Jefferson was President in the early 19th century:

    http://www.britannica.com/bcom/eb/article/4/0,5716,109554+1+106454,00.html

    ENCYCLOPAEDIA BRITANNICA

    Jefferson, Thomas

    [...]

    b. April 2 [April 13, New Style], 1743, Shadwell, Va., U.S.
    d. July 4, 1826, Monticello, Va.
    draftsman of the Declaration of Independence, first secretary of state
    (1789-94), second vice president (1797-1801), and, as the third president
    of the United States (1801-09), responsible for the Louisiana Purchase. An
    early advocate of total separation of church and state, he also was the
    founder and architect of the University of Virginia and the most eloquent
    American proponent of individual freedom as the core meaning of the
    American Revolution.

    Long regarded as America's most distinguished "apostle of liberty,"
    Jefferson has come under increasingly critical scrutiny within the scholarly
    world. At the popular level, both in the United States and abroad, he
    remains an incandescent icon, an inspirational symbol for both major U.S.
    political parties, as well as for dissenters in communist China, liberal
    reformers in central and eastern Europe, and aspiring democrats in Africa
    and Latin America. His image within scholarly circles has suffered,
    however, as the focus on racial equality has prompted a more negative
    reappraisal of his dependence upon slavery and his conviction that
    American society remain a white man's domain. The huge gap between his
    lyrical expression of liberal ideals and the more attenuated reality of his
    own life has transformed Jefferson into America's most problematic and
    paradoxical hero.

    SC>And they had seen the horror of what could happen when
    >Christians had control of the government.

    Anytime Christianity is mixed with politics the result will be bad. But as I
    have pointed out in our own century, atheist governments (e.g. Nazi
    Germany, Communist Russia, China, Cambodia, etc) has been *far* worse.
    About *100 million* people have been executed by atheist governments in
    our own century alone.

    SC>They wrote the 1st Amendment very deliberately.

    I agree with "the 1st Amendment" that: "Congress shall make no law
    respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise
    thereof...."
    (http://www.britannica.com/bcom/eb/article/2/0,5716,127112+1+116843,00.html)

    But I do not agree with the modern interpretations of it which try to ban
    any *expression* of religion in public life, and therefore, in effect leaves
    naturalism:

    http://www.britannica.com/bcom/eb/article/6/0,5716,56426+1+55048,00.html

    ENCYCLOPAEDIA BRITANNICA

    naturalism

    in philosophy, a theory that relates scientific method to philosophy by
    affirming that all beings and events in the universe (whatever their inherent
    character may be) are natural. Consequently, all knowledge of the universe
    falls within the pale of scientific investigation. Although naturalism denies
    the existence of truly supernatural realities, it makes allowance for the
    supernatural, provided that knowledge of it can be had indirectly--that is,
    that natural objects be influenced by the so-called supernatural entities in a
    detectable way.

    as the defacto religion of America, as Johnson points out:

            "The decisive question for First Amendment religious law, then, is
            one of metaphysics rather than legal doctrine. Is the Constitution
            genuinely neutral between scientific naturalism and theism? In that
            case both positions should be admitted to public discussion, in the
            schools and elsewhere, and protected from "viewpoint
            discrimination. Or is naturalism the established constitutional
            philosophy? In that case naturalism will have a monopoly in the
            public arena, while theistic dissent will be restricted to private life.
            If the latter alternative is taken, then the Supreme Court will in
            effect have established a national religion in the name of First
            Amendment freedoms." (Johnson P.E., "Reason in the Balance,"
            1995, pp.33-34)

    >>SB>Creationism:
    >>>An attempt to use the force of the Federal government to require
    >>>teaching the mythology of one of the many religions practiced in the
    >>>US in public schools. No thanks!

    >SJ>I doubt that any major creationist organisation wants "to use the force of
    >>the Federal government to require teaching" of "creationism" (in an overtly
    >>Christian Biblical sense) "in the US ... public schools."

    SB>You must have missed The Wedge document posted here a while
    back.

    I didn't miss it as Susan well knows, since I commented on it. But nowhere
    does it say that it "wants `to use the force of the Federal government to
    require teaching' of `creationism' (in an overtly Christian Biblical sense) `in
    the US ... public schools.'"

    SB>It's the consuming passion of most creationists.

    It is the "consuming passion of most creationists" to have the original
    intention of the Constitution that the State should be "genuinely neutral
    between scientific naturalism and theism" and that "both positions should
    be admitted to public discussion, in the schools and elsewhere, and
    protected from `viewpoint discrimination.'"

    What Susan (and her ilk) want is for *their* secular religion (i.e.
    naturalism) to have an absolute monopoly in the public square.

    SB>What do you think all those Supreme Court decisions were about?

    They were about a number of things. If they were about "Congress shall
    make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free
    exercise thereof...." then few would disagree with them. But in none of
    those cases AFAIK had *Congress* made any law. They were IMHO
    illegitimate extensions of the First Amendment into matters of State law,
    and in fact where there was not even a law at all.

    >SJ>The ID Movement's position is to "teach the controversy", i.e what the
    >>dissenting views about evolution and its evidentiary problems *actually
    >>are*:

    SB>I would nave no problem with that if it was not the same tired creationist
    >nonsense supported by the standard out of context quotes harvested from
    >hither and yon.

    Susan is fooling herself if she really believes this.

    SB>Most of the "problems" that Johnson cites are phony.

    Then they should be able to be answered *properly*. But what happens is that
    evolutionists usually resort to "propaganda and legal barriers to prevent relevant
    questions from being asked", "rely on enforcing rules of reasoning that allow
    no alternative to the official story" and "rely on the dishonorable methods of power
    politics." (see tagline).

    This indicates that the *evolutionists* arguments are "phony"!

    SB>Neither Creationists nor IDists want to teach evolutionary controversies
    >like "did birds evolve directly from a dinosaur?" or "Is Homo Habilis
    >actually a separate species?"

    Neither "Creationists" (even YECs) "nor IDists" would have a problem
    with those (or any) of the "evolutionary controversies" being taught.

    The point is if "Neither Creationists nor IDists want to teach evolutionary
    controversies" why don't the evolutionists take the ID Movement up on its
    "position ... to `teach the controversy', i.e what the dissenting views about
    evolution and its evidentiary problems *actually are*?

    "In the final analysis, it is not any specific scientific evidence that convinces
    me that Darwinism is a pseudoscience that will collapse once it becomes
    possible for critics to get a fair hearing. It is the way the Darwinists argue
    their case that makes it apparent that they are afraid to encounter the best
    arguments against their theory. A real science does not employ propaganda
    and legal barriers to prevent relevant questions from being asked, nor does
    it rely on enforcing rules of reasoning that allow no alternative to the
    official story. If the Darwinists had a good case to make, they would
    welcome the critics to an academic forum for open debate, and they would
    want to confront the best critical arguments rather than to caricature them
    as straw men. Instead they have chosen to rely on the dishonorable
    methods of power politics." (Johnson P.E., "The Wedge of Truth: Splitting
    the Foundations of Naturalism," Intervarsity Press: Downers Grove IL.,
    2000, p.141)
    Stephen E. Jones | Ph. +61 8 9448 7439 | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sejones