Re: Tendency vs. behavior

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Thu Nov 16 2000 - 17:56:49 EST

    << [...]

    >>>DNAunion: First, I will start off with a quick coverage of an
    intuitive,hypothetical,everyday example.

    At a local gym, a weightlifter lies down on a flat bench which has
    twobvertical, sturdy bars that support at nearly full-arms reach a barbell
    weighing 300 lbs. He forcefully contracts his chest (and other) muscles and
    lifts the barbell, followed by locking out his elbows. At this point (and
    indeed, before and after), because of the attractive force imposed on the
    barbell by gravity, the tendency of the barbell is to take up a position as
    physically close to the Earth's center of mass as possible (i.e., its
    tendency is to move towards the floor and to remain there once it achieves
    this). As the man unlocks his elbows and slightly relaxes his muscles, the
    barbell begins a slow descent. Why? Is the man *pulling* the barbell down
    towards the ground? No. He is simply allowing the barbell to move according
    to its natural tendency. Once the barbell is just above his chest, the man
    tenses his muscles again, applying an upward-directed force: the barbell
    slowly rises. But wait a minute. Why must the man strain so har

    d if the
    barbell doesn't have a tendency to move downward towards the ground?
    Obviously, the barbell still DOES have that tendency - it opposes the man's
    attempts to separate it farther and farther from the Earth's center of mass
    at every second. But how can that be - if the barbell has the tendency to be
    moving downward, imposed on it by gravity, then how could it possibly be
    moving upward? Because its *behavior* can be different from its *tendency* if
    a sufficient opposing force is applied (note that the force of muscular
    contraction applies a tendency to the barbell: as mentioned below, tension in
    muscles *tends* to cause objects to move). So it is one tendency/force
    opposing another: the behavior of the system (man and barbell) depends upon
    which force overcomes the other. The tendency for the barbell to take up a
    position as physically close to the Earth's center of mass exists before the
    man lies down on the bench, while the man first hoists it of the rack, while
    the man allows it approach his chest, and even while the man strains to lift
    it away from his chest. The tendency of the barbell itself remained
    constant throughout the process, even though the behavior of the barbell
    (actually, the barbell-human system) changed.

    >>>Richard Wein: Unfortunately, this example is no different in principle
    from your teeter-totter example.

    When the man exerts an upward force on the barbell which is greater than the
    force of gravity, its tendency/behaviour is to rise. When he exerts a
    smaller force than the force of gravity, its tendency/behaviour is to fall.

    ***********************
    DNAunion: I disagree. When the man exerts an upward force on the barbell
    that is greater than the force of gravity, the barbell's *behavior* is to
    rise up away from the ground, but the barbell's *tendency* is still to move
    towards the ground. That is why the man has to strain - he is opposing, and
    must overcome, the constant tendency of the barbell to "fall". If the
    *barbell* in fact had a tendency to rise, the man could let go of it and it
    would keep moving higher and higher.
    ***********************

    >>>Richard Wein: You are arguing that the effect of gravity is a tendency,
    but the effect of muscles is not. Why? This is an arbitrary distinction.

    ************************
    DNAunion: And one that I did not make. In fact, I explicitly stated, "(note
    that the force of muscular contraction applies a tendency to the barbell: as
    mentioned below, tension in muscles *tends* to cause objects to move). So it
    is one tendency/force opposing another".

    In this analogy, the barbell has an ever-present and inescapable tendency to
    take up a position as close to the Earth's center of mass as possible. The
    barbell itself does not have any tendency to rise. That comes from a
    separate, secondary, temporary force that is applied to it.
    ************************

    >>>Richard Wein: Now, you might argue that the barbell has many tendencies
    at the same time:it has a tendency to fall (due to gravity), a tendency to
    rise (due to
    muscles), a tendency to stay still (due to inertia), a tendency to bend (due
    to the weights on the ends of the bar), a tendency not to bend (due to the
    rigidity of the bar), etc. The actual behaviour of the barbell is then the
    net result of all these tendencies. If you wish to take this position, then I
    accept your use of the word tendency. But, in this case, you can't
    characterise the tendency to fall as *the* tendency of the barbell; it's just
    one of many tendencies.

    ****************
    DNAunion: Okay, we're back to the fact that this is an analogy. That the
    tube/bar connecting the two sides with weights can bend is irrelevant to the
    analogy's point. The analogy shows in an easy-to-understand manner that an
    object's tendency and behavior can be considered as two separate things, and
    that since they are not one and the same, that they can differ: the tendency
    can remain constant even though the behavior changes. Any tendencies other
    than those that directly impact the behavior and/or tendencies of the
    barbells I mentioned (whether the barbell "rises or falls") are superfluous.

    And yes, in an everyday gym, here on Earth, without supermassive black holes
    entering the picture, the natural tendency of the barbell is to take up a
    position as close to the Earth's center of mass as possible, due to gravity.
    And this tendency exists before, during, and after the weightlifter touches
    the bar. In this example, that *is* its' primary tendency. ****************

    My timer on AOL just gave me a warning. I have to either finish up now and
    start another post, or save this to MS Word and edit it, then post it back
    here (in which case all the quotes and ellipses and dashes get converted to
    funky series of alphanumeric characters). More later.