Re: Phil Johnson on the Second Law of Thermodynamics

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Mon Nov 20 2000 - 11:08:16 EST

    >>>Chris: Self-replicating molecules are not exactly uncommon.

    >>>DNAunion: I am unaware of any known natural self-replicating molecule
    (they are very uncommon in nature, if they exist at all). Note the even DNA
    is not
    self-replicating (I bring this up because it is sometimes incorrectly stated
    that DNA replicates itself).

    >>>Chris: Actually, you do know of such molecules: DNA.

    ***************
    DNAunion: DNA is not self-replicating. It requires, among other things, RNA
    nucleotides to serve as a primer (DNA polymerases can only extend preexisting
    chains, they cannot initiate them) and a slew of proteins (DNA polymerase,
    RNA primase, Single-stranded binding proteins, DNA helicases, DNA ligases,
    etc.), and therefore, indirectly, the assistance of ribosomes, tRNA, rRNA,
    proteins that charge tRNA with amino acids, elongation factors (EF-Tu, for
    example), etc.

    Finally, DNA has not been shown to form in nature other than from preexisting
    DNA.
    ***************

    >>>Chris: You may also be aware of prions.

    **************
    DNAunion: I am aware of them, but do not keep up with them. It is my
    understanding, however, that prions do not self-replicate. If my limited
    exposure to the literature on them is anything to go by...

    There are two interconvertible forms of a prion protein - a normal and an
    abnormal (with the abnormal conformation being the causative agent of
    scrapies, bovine spongiform encephalopathy ("Mad Cow disease"), and the other
    related diseases). The normal form exists, and when an abnormal form of the
    protein makes physical contact with it, it can cause the normal form to
    convert to the abnormal form. This would entail only a physical
    conformational change of a preexisting macromolecule, not its synthesis: that
    is, neither the normal nor the abnormal form makes itself; they both are made
    normally (using DNA, mRNA, ribosomes, the genetic code, etc.).
    **************

    >>>Chris: However, even a water molecule can be self-reproducing in the
    right chemical circumstances (i.e., it triggers the production of other water
    molecules).

    DNAunion: I would still like to see you provide some peer-reviewed
    scientific material that states that water molecules are self-reproducing.

    I really don't understand what you mean. In simplistic thought experiment
    language, If you take two water molecules and put them in a sealed jar,
    leave, and come back an hour or a day later, will you have more than 2 water
    molecules? If you come back a week later, will the jar be filled with water?

    [...]