Re: Ultimate premises

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 14:45:49 EST

    >>[...]
    Stephen
    >> >This is not to say that one's ultimate premise cannot be critiqued - it can
    >> >and be replaced by another ultimate premise. To that extent Chris is
    >> >misconstruing what Johnson (and I) are saying by prefacing "assumed"
    >> >with "simply". The process at arriving at an ultimate premise does not have
    >> >to be simple, but in the end an ultimate premise must indeed be assumed.
    >>
    >>[...]

    Another hint:
    On what basis can you critique ultimate premises? Obviously, if you
    critique them in terms of themselves, and if they are a poor basis for
    critiquing, then the results may not be very good. For example, if your
    belief in God is an ultimate premise, then critiquing it in terms of itself
    will not be very effective, regardless of whether it is true or false.
    Circular critiquing is only meaningful if the circularity of it produces a
    conflict, a contradiction, thus indicating that there is a problem with the
    ultimate premise involved. But, otherwise, it means very little.

    Another hint: What is the *general* basis for critiquing ideas? What are
    the logically required presuppositions for critiquing anything?

    Another hint: Let me repeat: Can you say "False alternative"?