Ultimate premises/Arguing for aguments sake!

From: silk (smbc1@wxs.nl)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 02:21:05 EST

    Silk here: It's a pity that many on this list are (1) either
    pompous individuals in desperate need of attention or (2) just plain
    childish! It's even a greater pity that this subject creation vs evolution
    is so complex that we should spend our time attempting to arrive at answers
    instead of playing mind games; "I'm smarter than you" type thing! You all
    know exactly what I'm talking about! As to Assumptions: In the abscene of
    any real proof if one is to make any headway they must resort to
    "assumptions" or more specifically "Deductions"!
    "If this does that often enough than this must be so"!
    Like coming to grips with what electrons, neutrons & protons do let alone
    "assuming" they even exist or like rubbing two sticks together & "assuming"
    why a spark results & that into fire! You guys would make lousy teachers as
    your main aim would be to impress the students as to how smart you were & to
    [on purpose]
    totally confuse them & then act dumbfounded as to how they couldn't
    understand such a simple principle (one you knew inside out) Oh yes I know
    your pathetic types! Sad, sad in the extreme! chao/Silk

    Cris Cogan wrote:Subject: Ultimate premises: Note: I notice that Jones does
    not answer my reasoning in my prior post on this topic, to the effect that
    his own argument to the conclusion that ultimate premises must be simply
    assumed is self-refuting, because *it*
     must rest on premises, and ultimately on ultimate premises. If they are
    simply assumed, then what reason have we for thinking that the argument is
    sound?