Re: Phil Johnson on the Second Law of Thermodynamics

From: David_Bowman@georgetowncollege.edu
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 14:51:06 EST

    Just a follow up to Richard's comment:

    >Anyway, it will serve as a timely example of how a decrease in entropy does
    >*not* require a "code-driven energy-conversion system". There is obviously
    >no such system in the Sun.

    This is quite true. But we certainly don't have to consider anything as
    esoteric as the solar interior for such a counterexample. Such examples
    occur at the *simplest* level of all thermodynamic processes. One of the
    most trivial thermodynamic processes imaginable is the flow of heat from
    a region at higher temperature to a region at a lower temperature. In
    such a process the higher temperature region has its entropy *decrease*
    with time as the entropy of the lower temperature region increases by an
    amount which is greater than the decrease that occurs in the high
    temperature region. There is *no* need for any "code-driven energy-
    conversion system" for such an entropy decrease to take place in the
    region of high temperature. This process does *not* "overcome" the 2nd
    law. In fact, it is one of the simplest imaginable manifestations of
    that law operating as normally and simply as possible. The simple fact
    is that the 2nd law does not require, nor even address the issue of, the
    existence of such an "energy conversion system". To append such a
    requirement to the second law *is* inventing one's own idiosyncratic
    (and incorrect) formulation of thermodynamics. Also, it is a simple
    demonstrable fact that many instances of local entropy decrease are *not*
    accomplished via such an "energy conversion system"; many other instances
    of local entropy decrease *are* accomplished with such a system that
    itself spontaneously forms in situ; and some instances *do* require a
    previously constructed such system. Sometimes such a "energy conversion
    system" is used for the production of a local *increase* in entropy.
    Whether or not such a system is needed for a given process or not is a
    function of the particular process at hand. It is *not* a concern of the
    2nd law.

    Whether or not a given system will spontaneously form varying degrees of
    complexity with or without an externally previously built special
    apparatus is simply *not relevant* to the 2nd law. No matter what
    apparatus is or is not needed to enable a given process, the 2nd law is
    obeyed as usual, and isn't violated nor "overcome". The formation of
    complexity is *not* necessarily thermodynamically "uphill". Sometimes
    it is "downhill" (such as in the spontaneous formation of Prigogine's
    "dissipative structures" in far-from-equilibrium systems whose
    disequilibrium is maintained via externally imposed gradients across the
    system of one or more intensive thermodynamic potentials). All
    naturally occuring processes are, by the very operation of the 2nd law,
    thermodynamically "downhill". But to see that it really is "downhill"
    one has to consider all the relevant interactions associated with the
    process, because *any* such process will involve some entropy-increasing
    aspects and other entropy-decreasing aspects. The net generation of
    thermodynamic entropy in a physical process (being related to the
    relevant microscopic degrees of freedom in the process) is quite
    unrelated to whether or not various patterns of complexity or order do or
    do not form at the macroscopic level. I do not know how to make this any
    more plain.

    Although I hesitate to do so, I will risk using a gravitational analogy
    (initially used earlier by DNAunion to illustrate his idea of the 2nd
    law being "overcome"). Consider any solid object that I drop out of my
    hand to the floor, or consider any object significantly more dense than
    1 kg/L being dropped into a swimming pool. Because of the interaction
    of the mass of the body, the mass of the surrounding air or water, and
    the gravitational field of the earth, as the object falls, the fluid (air
    or water) surrounding it is displaced out of the way to make room for the
    body, since the fluid and the object it is immersed in do not occupy the
    same space at the same time. As there is a net displacement of the
    object downward, there is a net associated motion *upward* of the
    displaced fluid. If we focussed our attention on the displaced fluid we
    would see its gravitational potential energy *increase*. If we focussed
    our attention on the the body we would see its potential energy decrease.
    The sum of the potential energies of the surrounding fluid and the object
    decreases. Gravity is *not* overcome by this process of rising fluid.
    If, OTOH, the body was released at the bottom of the swimming pool, and
    it had a density less than that of the water, or if a helium balloon was
    released from my hand in air, then the object would rise and the
    displaced surrounding fluid would fall. In this case gravity is *not*
    overcome *either*. It's just that in this latter case, the increase in
    the gravitational potential energy of the object (balloon in the air or
    block of wood in the pool) is less than the decrease in the
    gravitational potential energy of the surrounding fluid medium. In
    *both* cases the total gravitational potential energy of the object and
    the displaced fluid decreases as the object either sinks or rises--as the
    case may be.

    So it is with the 2nd law. *Any* thermodynamic process will involve
    some subsystems whose entropy decreases, and others, whose entropy
    increases. When we include the sum of the entropy changes of all the
    parts which are interacting as part of the process, we find that the
    net total entropy change is positive with time. In *no* such case is the
    2nd law ever "overcome" or violated.

    >I think that, if we strip away the misleading talk of "code-driven
    >energy-conversion systems" and processes "overcoming" the Second Law, what
    >the objectors are really asking is this: what is the process by which
    >energy (e.g. from the Sun) drives a decrease in entropy in pre-biotic
    >structures?

    I certainly don't pretend to know in detail how biogenesis came about.
    But if it was via some fully natural abiogenetic process, it will be
    found that the 2nd law was *not* overcome nor violated in that process.
    If the entropy of some pre-biotic structures happened to have decreased,
    then the entropy of some other relevant subsystems of the process
    increased by a greater amount. This is not conceptually any different
    than any other naturally occurring process regarding issues of the 2nd
    law.

    It *is* an open question, I believe, as to whether or not a fully
    naturalistic scenario for the development of life exists or not. But the
    issue will be decided on other grounds than on appeals to the 2nd law.
    I personally, can't imagine how life could have gotten started via a
    fully naturalistic scenario. But this might just be a lack of
    imagination on my part. I'm undecided about such a question of
    abiogenesis. But I am confident that if it abiogenesis occurred in a
    fully natural manner, there is nothing of the 2nd law for it to have
    "overcome". Not every process that is found to be effectively impossible
    (because the probability of its occurance is much too low to ever have
    happened anywhere in the causally connected region of our universe) is
    necessarily related in any way to an *overcoming* of the 2nd law. It
    can be probabilistically impossible for other reasons (e.g. reasons
    pertaining to missing detailed dynamical pathways, low tunneling
    probabilities, etc.). Since no one yet has a convincing detailed
    account of abiogenesis, the jury is still out on whether it could have
    happened in a fully naturalistic manner. It is *quite* premature to
    be making impossibility verdicts based on bogus 2nd law arguments.

    >I think the short answer to the question is "through chemical reactions
    >(and possibly other physical processes) which require heat." Without heat, the
    >chemical reactions could not take place. Of course, this doesn't just apply
    >to prebiotic structures. There are all sorts of inorganic structures whose
    >entropy decrease is driven (directly or indirectly) by heat. Commonly cited
    >examples are snowflakes, crystals and tornados. But they can also simply be
    >molecules undergoing chemical reactions to form lower-entropy compounds.

    True.

    >If these can experience decreases in entropy without a "code-driven
    >energy-conversion system", then obviously pre-biotic structures
    >can do so too.

    I disagree here. The above is a non sequiter. It is not obvious *at
    all* what is needed for the appropriate structures to form. But it is
    true that *if* it should be the case that some foreignly implanted
    "code-driven energy-conversion system" is necessary to form the necessary
    structures, then that necessity is not imposed by the 2nd law, and any
    appeal to it to argue for such a structure is invalid.

    >I hope David will correct me if I've got anything wrong here. Sorry, David,
    >but I hope you won't consider it a waste of time to educate me. ;-)

    Here are my comments. I really did not intend to take up nearly as much
    time as I ended up spending on this post. I hope that time was not
    wasted (w.r.t. list members *other* than Richard who seems to value
    my occasional tomes).

    David Bowman
    David_Bowman@georgetowncollege.edu