Ultimate premises

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 00:00:41 EST

    Note: I notice that Jones does not answer my reasoning in my prior post on
    this topic, to the effect that his own argument to the conclusion that
    ultimate premises must be simply assumed is self-refuting, because *it*
    must rest on premises, and ultimately on ultimate premises. If they are
    simply assumed, then what reason have we for thinking that the argument is
    sound?
    [...]
    > CC Jones has even gone
    > so far (following similar claims by Johnson) as to claim that ultimate
    > starting points must be simply assumed, ...

    > Indeed! If Chris disagrees how does he propose to arrive at an *ultimate*
    > starting point except by, in the end, assuming it?

    Chris
    I left this as an "exercise for the reader" to answer this question in my
    last post on this topic, in the hopes that it would prompt a few people to
    think about it. I've answered it before, and I'll answer it again, but in
    this post, I will simply give Stephen and others some helpful hints.

    Hint 1: What's wrong with Stephen's argument?

    Stephen
    > Since reason works from premises to conclusions where does Chris get his
    > ultimate premise from? If he bases it on another reason then that must rest
    > on a yet more ultimate premise, unless he starts to reason in a circle.

    Chris
    Hint 2: So, Stephen, what would be the alternative to providing a yet more
    ultimate premise that would still validate the ultimate premise? I think
    you can work it out if you really try. Given the truth of what you imply,
    that we cannot prove ultimate premises via a process of adopting *other*
    premises and reasoning from them to the "ultimate" premises, what remains,
    *other* than simply assuming them?

    Stephen
    > This is not to say that one's ultimate premise cannot be critiqued - it can
    > and be replaced by another ultimate premise. To that extent Chris is
    > misconstruing what Johnson (and I) are saying by prefacing "assumed"
    > with "simply". The process at arriving at an ultimate premise does not have
    > to be simple, but in the end an ultimate premise must indeed be assumed.

    Chris
    Hint 3: You (and many others) are committing a fallacy of the false
    alternative when you make claims like this. You admit *only* two
    prospective methods:

            1. Simply assuming ultimate premises.
            2. Unsound arguments for ultimate premises, arguments that
            are unsound because either,
                    a. They rest on their own ultimate premises or on each other.
                    b. They rest on "yet more ultimate premises" and are thus not
                    actually ultimate premises at all.

    But, are these the only alternatives?

    Hint 4: No.

    > An *ultimate* premise cannot, by definition, be supported by any reasons
    > more ultimate than itself:

    Hint 5: This is TRUE!!

    <snip of long quote from guru Johnson>

    > Chris no doubt dislikes this simple truth because he seems to fancy himself
    > as something of a rationalist. But *pure* rationalism is a delusion. In the
    > end one must chose one's ultimate premises by *faith* based on the best
    > available, but necessarily limited, evidence. And of course one is strongly
    > biased by what one *wants* to be true (see tagline).

    Hint 6: Can you say, "False alternative"?

    > And of course if one is wrong in one's choice of ultimate premise then all
    > one's conclusions based on that premise are wrong too. For example,
    > if Chris' ultimate premise is (say) that there is no God, and there is,
    then all
    > his reasons about evolution and Christianity are, to that extent, wrong (and
    > of course vice-versa).
    >
    > This is the *real* reason for the intractable differences in
    philosophies among
    > humans. It is not that those one disagrees with are "irrational" (as
    Richard
    > naively imagines) but that we are all rational and have *chosen* different
    > ultimate starting points.
    >
    > We can of course debate these ultimate starting points and indeed
    > we do. But what *is* irrational is to deny that such ultimate starting
    points
    > must necessarily exist and/or that they have to be, at the end of the
    > day, *assumed*.

    Chris
    Hint 7: What is the basis of reason itself?

    Hint 8: No, it is *not* something assumed on faith or "simply assumed."