choice as part of the design

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 13:18:23 EST

    Bertvan:
    I don't regard ID as meaning everything was planned beforehand. I believe
    the biosphere was designed to interact with the environment. Darwinists also
    believe life interacts with the environment, but they insist it is all a
    process of chance and accidents - no design. I doubt "chance" played any
    part in the appearance of "beneficial" mutations, -- intelligent, rational,
    interacting pieces of complex biological systems. Every piece of an organism
    is alive, including mutations, and so far "chance" has not proved capable of
    producing either life or intelligence. (Remember, abiogenesis is still a
    Darwinist hope, not a fact.) Selection could only choose between
    functioning, complex mutations that already include life and intelligence.
    Intelligence is an attribute of life.

     Below is a quotation from Margulis , (The Times Higher Education Supplement,
    October 27, 2000.) While she attempts to suggest the concept might have been
    sanctioned by Darwin, I suspect she is merely trying to remain a member of
    the "establishment". She has in the past made disparaging remarks about
    "Darwinism".

    Bertvan
    http://members.aol.com/bertvan

    If our actions and thoughts are
    determined by genes, as Laplace imagined all motion was determined by
    Newtonian physics, then why can we not simply end this particular sentence
    anywhere we like - if our genes wish? This is no idle arcane fantasy from
    the fringe of biological science. Darwin invented the term sexual selection
    to indicate choice of real female animals contemplating their potential
    mates and fathers of their potential offspring. He recognised, at least in
    this limited sense, the power of choice to influence evolutionary outcome.
    That choice has a cumulative causative effect on the genes, and their
    transmission might give us pause, perhaps even spiritual pause.

         Darwin, the highest priest of biology, inspires us to follow his line
    of thought in recognition of the importance of decision and choice in the
    continuing evolution of organisms capable of behaviour. This line of
    thought is extendable, and was extended even by Darwin, far beyond mate
    selection. One species with whom another associates and the nature of that
    association - nutritional, nurturing, predatory, exploitative - set up
    potentially evolution-changing conditions. Relations between co-evolving
    members of different species may begin as conscious decisions but end up as
    unconscious habit.

         Lynn Margulis is professor in the department of geosciences,
    University of Massachussetts, Amherst, United States.