Re: Entropy (was Re: Human Designers vs. God-as-Designer)

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2000 - 13:11:46 EDT

    At 02:05 PM 10/23/2000, you wrote:
    > >> DNAunion: All life requires that it actively maintain itself far above
    >thermodynamic equilibrium. For an acorn to grow into an oak, it must fight
    >against, and "overcome", entropic tendencies at every moment along the way.
    >This example does not contradict my statements.
    >
    > >>FMAJ: Exactly. This far for equilibrium thermodynamics is exactly what
    >drives evolution and creation of completity. So what does this show?
    >
    >DNAunion: It shows that there *is* something that opposes matter's being
    >organized in complex ways, which must be continually fought: when it is
    >battled, it *can* be "overcome".
    >
    >How many times do I have to explain this. I am *not* stating that increases
    >in order or complexity *cannot* occur, just that in order for them to occur,
    >that entropy must be *overcome*. Entropy *is* something that opposes
    >matter's being arranged in organized and complex ways.

    Chris
    Actually, I don't think that the complexity of the Universe as a whole
    changes at all. *Organization* changes, of course. But, randomness is as
    complex as you can get; it's just not organized in ways that we would
    recognize as such.

    The complexity of randomness is what makes the claims that random processes
    cannot produce complexity ironic; that's what random processes are *best*
    at producing. What they are not so good at is producing simplicity and
    systematic organization.