Re: Entropy (was Re: Human Designers vs. God-as-Designer)

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 14:42:45 EDT

    From: David_Bowman@georgetowncollege.edu
    <David_Bowman@georgetowncollege.edu>

    >Regarding the Ccogan/DNAunion/FMAJ entropy exchange:

    [...]

    Dave, thanks for all the info about 2LT. To be honest the details are beyond
    me. As a non-physicist, it would be nice to have a simple way of rebutting
    the creationist/ID argument, if there is one.

    It seems to me sufficient to point out that the 2LT only applies to closed
    systems and that living organisms are not closed systems. Is this a fully
    adequate argument?

    I seem to remember some creationist claiming that there's a form of the 2LT
    that applies to open systems. Is that true? Or perhaps he was talking about
    informational entropy, which has nothing to do with the 2LT. Any comment?

    Thanks for your help.

    Richard Wein (Tich)
    "Do the calculation. Take the numbers seriously. See if the underlying
    probabilities really are small enough to yield design."
      -- W. A. Dembski, who has never presented any calculation to back up his
    claim to have detected Intelligent Design in life.